What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ohhh!  lookie!

Hello everyone!
Ohhh look! I've got some Neps now! =D
My first Nepenthes' =), I'm so happy I could cry...I can't get away from my tank for more than 5 mins...I just HAVE to go back and look at them...

They are : N. Maxima (Tlatawiran) (highland) and N. Sanguinea (Genting) from http://www.carnivorousplantscanada.com

I also found another one I found at Home Depot...it wasn't identified, but to me it looks like an Alata, with it's bulbous bottom and all. Not in very good shape though...it was obviously lacking light and humidity, lots of pitchers were dead. Hope to nurse it back to health though =).

Happy happy! =D

Btw guys, highlands are supposed to be "harder" to keep, but that's mostly due to the fact they usually require colder temperature, right?
So since my terrarium has a temperature between 85 and 75°F during the day, and 65 to 75°F during the night (right now winter is approching, so it'll probably be much colder soon), and humidity around 50 to 60% during the day and 70 to 80% at night; would you say this is good enough for highlanders? Or at least some of them?

I just KNOw I won't be able to sleep tonight...so happy! =)

Nice to see the Nepenthes starting to arrive in Canada!

Your room temperatures I would consider intermediate/highland. As long as you stick with the less tempermental highland plants and avoid those from really high altitude (or real true blue lowlanders), you should be fine.

btw guessing the plant you found at homedepot is either N. ventricosa or a hybrid N. ventrata (ventricosa x alata).

Tony

Sure doesn't look like a ventricosa... the pitchers have a very small opening, ventricosa's pitchers are shaped kind of like peanuts : fat - slim - fat, this one is slim - slim - fat, and the "lips" (peristome?) are rather thin, not like the full, fleshy lips the ventricosa has...
Plus they are barely red at all, though I'd say that's because there was too little light at the store.
*snif snif* poor thing!

Plant size/age will also affect pitcher shape. Young N. ventricosa do not have that peanut shape as you call it ;>

When you get it recovered and growing well you could post a picture. Odds are it's N. ventrata. Most of the bulk cp nurseries have this plant in their production line although N. ventricosa does occasionally show up also. Real N. alata however I have not seen in these homeimprovement stores..

Tony

Okay, will burrow a friend's digital cam and will do.

What about my other question though?

The part about growing highlanders? Thought I answered at least some of that earlier..

I am not far from Canada and find intermediate/highland plants much easier since the natural temperatures around here are more suited for them. The terms highland/intermediate/lowland however should only be a very rough guide. When you find a plant you would like deffinately research it to find out just how well it would fit with your cultural conditions. Some plants are very flexible and others quite the opposite.
Tony

Saying you FOUND a N. alata on here requires proof since the only places you are likely to find alata are nurseries suited to hobbyist growers.
smile_m_32.gif

Joe

Oh you know.. I just realized your topic description says "Got one"

Shouldn't it say Got Three!  You are officially hooked.. there is no escaping the Nepenthes bug now LOL

I would be happy to change that description for a small moderating fee (j/k on the fee)

Tony

Edit:
ps Sorry if I am getting a bit overenthused on my replys about N. alata. Problem is that N. Ventrata has been masquarading as N. alata for over 20+ years now in nurseries and sorting them out from the real ones can be difficult at times. Not to mention the headaches I am sure many have suffered at trading/buying something labelled as N. alata to find it is in fact N. Ventrata...

Big thanks to Deroose for that one ...

Superimposed : I said I found a nep that LOOKS LIKE an alata. ...Well it does! Maybe Tony is right and it's because it's a young plant that the pitchers don't look what they should. I guess only time will tell.

Tony : Well, it is an offspring of N.Alata after all, so I guess it was bound to happen. And I should apologise as well, you did answer my question in your first post (the reason I insisted is because I like precise data, like '73,32°F is the ideal temp for nep W and nep Y, if they are in 23,4 cubic cm of soil no more dense x kg/m3 with humidity of 76,6%, see what I mean? Unnecesary details meant to please cracks like me.)
And no worry, for now I won't try to escape the bug, I am perfectly happy to look at them every chance I get, all four of them (since they were inexpensive, I bought 2 of the mysterious ventrata/alata/venricosa/
confused.gif
, 5 if you count that one of those two has a tiny offshot 1 cm from it's main stalk, naturally that was the first I jumped on...=D )

Thanks a lot!

Hello,

I noticed your in Montreal Canada. Welcome to another Canadian CP nut!

Oh btw on that link you posted to the store, the aquarium on their main page is a picture of my snake tank.

Andre

Something doesn't fit though...
Ventricosa doesn't have a double-row of "hairs" on the front of it's pitchers...mine does, or at least at the "torso" part of them, and the really small ones have "hairs" on the top of their lid as well...
What does that tell you?

How big are the pitchers? Young N. ventricosa will have wings and hairs on the top of the lid. Sounds like your describing juvenile pitchers.

Tony

Yes they will be that way until they get about 2 1\2 in.

Back