What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. tiveyi pic

Hi:

Beautiful plant, the only question i have is whether this is in fact Tiveyi. N. tiveyi is a cross of maxima (superba) and Veitchii. Now is maxima dark the same a Maxima superba??

Gus

Absolutely stunning!! Man, I would pay huge for this plant! If you don't mind my asking, how much did it set you back? You don't have to answer if you don't want to... I am just speechless! Incredible! I am currently looking at a tomomi x tiveyi, and after seeing that plant, I think I'm sold!
smile.gif
smile_m_32.gif

I grow both x Tiveyi and a couple of the maxima-dark x veitchii highland striped referred to here, and they are very similar of course, but slightly different in shape and colour of the peristome. Given that both come from various clones, there will be differences from the same cross from the seed mix. A friend had a couple of maxima-dark x veitchii highland striped he got from Geoff, and they show slight differences from each other and mine. They're all attractive hybrids, but do take up a lot of space (like veitchii once it gets going).

Gus, to answer your question, there is a bit of contraversy about maxima-superba and what it actually is. The couple of photos I've seen of it look like a reddy-brown variant of maxima, and it could be a lowland variant, but I'm not sure. The maxima-dark variant Geoff used in his cross is a dark chocolate highland variety.

Hamish

Thanks Hamish for your reply.

Then if the maxima dark is not the same as the superba variant then this plant could not possibly be called N X tiveyi

Gus

Capslock has a thread here called "September Gallery, young pitchers" and the second pic is maxima 'Superba', if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Joe

My god what a beautiful plant rlhirst!

Phil I MUST come over again soon I HAVE TO SEE THAT!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Robin that is absolutley gorgeous! :0 :0

Beautiful!!!
When I look at the pitcher I'm nearly afraid you'll be eaten by it.  
smile_m_32.gif

can they grow in lowland conditions? and mine only has one leaf forming, its pritty hairly too, i dont know whats going on... by the way, i got this rooted cutting from rlhirst, thanks alot man!

Hi Altrade,
Yep! It grows quite well in lowland conditions, or intermediate. One leaf at a time
smile_m_32.gif

Your very welcome,
Robin

Wonderful specimen! Absolutely wonderful! Certainly one of the better "Victorian" hybrids I've seen.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hi Altrade,
Yep! It grows quite well in lowland conditions, or intermediate. One leaf at a time
smile_m_32.gif

Your very welcome,
Robin
thanks again robin, i owe ya one!

Back