What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rhs autumn show

• Thread starter shokuchuu
  • Start date
Hey everyone!
So the Royal Horticultural Society Autumn Show is next week.  I'm really excited since Borneo Exotics will be there, along with other CP nurseries (so I read somewhere).  I will post pics from the event on this thread.
Ta very much

Amori

woohoo take lots of pics!! Can't wait to see them.

Tony

Amori,

Well that should take care of your problem of finding neps in the UK, lol.

Joe

Hi Amori
Yes take lots of photos please.

Bye for now julian

Photos coming up very soon!!!!

Amori

So here goes!
I have to say that the Autumn Show was spectacular in all forms, especially at the Borneo Exotics display.  Very special thanks to Rob Cantley and Diana Williams (as well as other members of staff) for making all this possible!  
Some pictures didn't turn out well, therefore I had to pick them out.  I also apologise if modem users have trouble loading these pics...  One picture I really would've liked to post was that of a large N. bongso pitcher which was close to black.
And now...

445Display.JPG

Here we have most of the display.  You can imagine my excitement when I got this close!

445N_copelandii.JPG

This N. copelandii was in the far corner.  It surely is a beauty.  The pitchers on this plant were well close to a foot tall, if not more.  I wasn't a fan of this plant until today!

445N_sanguinea.JPG

A very nice form of N. sanguinea.  Aren't some people really fortunate?

445N_mikei.JPG

Not a very big fan of this plant either until today!  This is just one of the several N. mikei plants around.  All very beautiful indeed!

445N_talangensis.JPG

Unfortunately, this picture of N. talangensis (actually talangensis x maxima -- a mistake on my part) didn't turn out so well, but it was the best one I had taken.  There were lots of these plants on display, dangling there pitchers everywhere.  I can't say anything more than WOW at the moment...

445N_veitchii.JPG

Mmmmm.... candy...  That's the impression I got when I saw the peristome of this N. veitchii pitcher.  

445Mt_Veitchii.JPG

And in the far back we have Mount Veitchii.  I especially liked this section of the display.

445N_truncata_HL_.JPG

A highland N. truncata pitcher in all its glory...  Amazing.

445N_densiflora.JPG

N. densiflora.  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif

445N_hamata.JPG

And last but not least, a troop of healthy N. hamata's.  This was the first time I got to see pitchers larger than an inch so it was pretty darn exciting!  This makes a great desktop wallpaper  
smile_n_32.gif

Other plants on this display were: N. rafflesiana varieties, N. bicalcarata (typical and red), large N. ventricosa's, N. maxima x talangensis (or the other way around), N. trichocarpa, Heliamphora spp., a mass of N. viellardi, and an army of N. ampullaria of several varieties.  I probably missed a few plants though  
smile_n_32.gif
I hope you liked these enough to look at them twice.  Thanks again to the crew at Borneo Exotics for their marvelous work!

Best regards,
Amori

And the award goes to.......

445Award.JPG

I 'm not surprised they got the Gold Medal.  This display was absolutely beautiful.

I'm guessing there are some people wondering whether I got any plants.  As a matter of fact, they only sold baby highland N. truncatas...  but at a steal!  Each plant, no matter what size or clone, were GBP10.00 (approximately $18.00).  Rob let me search the box to choose a plant (thanks so much Rob!), and I managed to get the biggest one:
445Catch_of_the_day.JPG

The leafspan is 3", and so is the height of the pitchers.  What a catch I must say!

Best regards,
Amori

all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely stunning! To own a talangensis that big! Mine will probably be there in 3 or 4 years...
smile_m_32.gif
As for the truncata... That is what I call a steal!
smile.gif

highland truncs 18 bux?
confused.gif
? WOW!!! they're like 100+ over here!!! simply amazing pictures. that borneo exotic display is breathtaking. How did you they keep the plants humid enough to do ok in that display?

FSTP:
They sprayed water from time to time on the plants. Rob told me they were in shock from the journey and all, but they seemed to be holding up really well.

Amori

Amazing pictures, shokuchuu.

I love the N. Veitchii, Truncata, and Hamata in particular.

Also a N. Truncata (HL) for $18
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
. Very very nice catch.

Hi Amori,

very nice pictures! The plant labeled N. talangensis doesn't look like N. talangensis - most propably it is a hybrid.

Cheers Joachim

I figured so, too Joachim! I was surprised that they would have a talangensis that big already, and looking closer, it closely matches talangensis x maxima...

Amori:

Thanks for providing a "window" to press our noses against for those of us who were unable to visit the show and see the interesting BE display.

The plants look both beautiful and superbly-cultivated, and the Cantley's certainly deserved the recognition and award that the RHS bestowed on them.

What was your take on the visitors' response to the Neps on display? Is it your opinion that BE sparked real interest in their plants from "gardeners"? As you know, Neps appear to be heading mainstream (almost) in the 'States; what's the situation in the UK like now?

Again, thank you for sharing these great images with us.

SJ

Hi Joachim
That's what I thought too.  There were N. talangensis x maxima plants right next to those ones so it's most probable that they are what you say they are.  Thanks for pointing it out (let me use this as an opportunity to say that I have always loved your website!)!

SJ:
As for the situation of Neps in the UK... Hmm, I only just moved back here so I wouldn't exactly know. Growers on the CPUK forum would probably be able to give you are good answer.

Amori

Sorry, me and Joachim kind of spliced posts... He originally suggested that it wasn't what was said. I then chimed in about what it is. Joachim, you're not losing your mind!  
smile_m_32.gif

EDIT: I looked at the pic of the whole display and did the simplest thing: read the tags. It is for sure talangensis x maxima, as is the plant next to it! (no, I didn't enlarge it or anything, just straight off of PFT)
smile_m_32.gif

I'm guessing that those plants were "sacrificed" for the sake of the show. Because between transplanting, the whole trip, and being in (probably) all the wrong conditions will have a really negative affect on them. or am i totally wrong?

thats ashame!!!! I hope its not true, alot of those plants are slow growers and they had huge ones.... that makes me sad... *single ter rolls down flips cheek*

Nepenthes are surprisingly hardy. Rob would have made sure they were shipped well and placed in the exhibit properly. They also seem to be all highland plants, which should be fine in cooler and drier conditions.

As for the hybrid, I actually think its bongso x maxima (it's too big for a talangensis hybrid for a start), which Marcello Catalano took a picture of when he spent some time working at BE. A link to his picture is http://community.webshots.com/photo/158645133/158645634mvxKWB

Hamish

Hi,

many thanks for your nice comments Amori.

N. talangensis was called N. bongso until 1995 when Joachim Nerz and Andreas Wistuba described these plants as new species in CPN23 (1995). According to their description pitchers are up to 12 cm big. The plant shown on Marcello's photo looks like N. talangensis x maxima as well. Rob will be able to tell more about this hybrid.

Cheers Joachim

Back