What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dont slip!

• Thread starter rlhirst
  • Start date
Nope, not for impailing monkey hands.
dontslip.jpg

Hope you like  
smile_n_32.gif

Robin

Hi Robin,

how many ants are caught in the pitcher? - How many of those climbing the fangs fall into the pitcher?

Nice pics btw.

Cheers Joachim

Hi
Great photo's the Bical looks great.

Bye for now julian

Great pics and plant!
Hmmmm, this is a question Steve L would be able to answer quite precisely...  Where are you when we need you Steve!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Amori

Hi guys,
Yep those are ants playing a dangerous game. The pitchers are 1/3 full of ants. I would say half the ants that investigate the sharp end fall in.
smile_n_32.gif
Robin

Great photos!

Bical fangs are sharp (like rose thorns), when I had my big one I accidentally poked a finger and drew blood.

off topic: Amori I love your avatar! Another CR@SS fan - awesome! I've had their Anok & Peace tattoo (from the "Feeding of the 5000" album) on my arm since I was about 13 years old!
biggrin.gif

Amatuer Expert,
I'm not sure exactly what kind of bical it is, as far as "red", or "squat Brown" or whatever. I think it's the regular kind. heheh:p

,Robin

I thought those "fangs" were to scare away animals who would steal it's food from the pitchers, like birds or something. I know I wouldn't put my head in something looking like THAT!

Not even as an experiment?
smile_m_32.gif

Well, maybe a bit, but I would have someone else do it first. =)

Ah, another hapless victim!
biggrin.gif

eeeh... for some reason I can't find ANYTHING containing the terms "nepenthes ants". I was trying to find an article or something about N. bical (what's it's full name?)... I read in a nat. geo. magazine that N. bical has a mutualistic relationship with certain ants. the plant provides them food and shelter (in it's tendril... it's hollow... the ants have the babies and stuff there) and the ants keep it clean. They take out insects that are too big from it's pitchers. Nobody knows how the ants manage to climb up the pitcher.

aaaahhhh... the wonders of nature
smile.gif

TAW-
N. bicalcarata

oh yea I saw that too. Apparently the ants also defend the bicalcarata from insects that might make a snack out of it, like a catapiller.

aha... I didn't know that part.
thanks for the full name! I searched arround to try and figure it out and nothing :p

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sszvein @ Sep. 15 2004,3:00)]I thought those "fangs" were to scare away animals who would steal it's food from the pitchers, like birds or something.  I know I wouldn't put my head in something looking like THAT!
After examining the contents of my Nepenthes pitchers, I severely doubt any bird or monkey would actually want the stuff inside. I heard that some monkeys/humans will drink the fluid in the pitchers though. Humans will only use ones that haven't opened yet
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Back