What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowland nirvana

What are they? i want to try to aim for the PERFECT lowland conditions, in my lowland chamber. i'm growing n. x isamo kusakobe, n. x coccinea, and n. x ventrata. Pretty soon i'll be a acquiring n. northiana and n. tobaica. I want to achieve a sort of lowland nirvana. I want to know specifics such as temperature, humidity, light and how long should i make the photoperiod, and anything else thats important that i missed. I know that n. x coccinea and n. x isamo kusakobe require bright light to get good coloration but northiana like low light environments better. what should i do?

right now the temperatures are around 80 at night and about 90-95 in the daytime. it peaks at 95 degrees just as its time for me to turn of their lights. at night, its gotten down to 68 degrees, since i like my room cold. good or bad?

Not sure there really is a perfect day/night temperature. As long as it is nice and warm 85-90day and warm at night low70s (although occasional drop into the high 60s should be ok).

You might want to keep in mind though that N. Ventrata is technically not a lowland plant despite it's near indestrucable nature.
N. tobaica is intermediate/highland also.

Tony

its usually around 75 degrees at night, sometimes around 67 when i turn my AC on. what about humidity?

i like to keep my RH at between 80 and 85.

Hi all:

In my opinion, there is no such a thing as a ideal lowland conditions, because also when we deal with lowlands, there are subgroups:

Strict lowlands: bical, ampullaria, belli, sumatrana
relaxed lowlands: eustachya, rafflesiana, rowanae??
intermediate/lowlands: campanulata, reinwardtiana, albomarginata (depending on variety)

The first group should be kept warm day and night, the second should be kept warm during the day,but they tolerate cold spells, the third one can tolerate colder temperatures  during the day and also somewhat colder temperatures at night.

So depending on what you want to grow, one will have to adjust conditions (within a lowland set up, that is)

Gus

Yeah i'm pretty aware of that. what i meant was a way to grow all lowlands (from hardcore lowlands up to almost intermidiates) and still please all the plants. Possible, impossible, or possible but impossible?

Well, my neps:

Strict lowlands: bical, ampullaria
relaxed lowlands: rafflesiana, mirabilis
intermediate/lowlands: reinwardtiana, albomarginata
intermediate/highlands: alata, ventrata, emmarene, tobaicaXthorelli, xmiranda

ALL GROW NEXT TO EACH OTHER and are all pitchering...
smilie4.gif

smilie4.gif

smilie4.gif

That's a lot of hope for you! POSSIBLE.
smile.gif

Amateur Expert,
It is very possible. The key is consistent high humidity. Our bicals, amps and northianas have no problems with coolish nights during the winter as long as days are warm and humidity always above 70 percent. Northiana is the picky one. It really needs very high humidity at all times. We have N. bicalcaratas growing right across the aisle in our greenhouse from N. spathulata x truncata and both are growing and pitchering beautifully less than three feet apart.

Trent

In my LL chamber that has various lowland neps the humidity never drops beow 80%. Day tems are usually between 90 and 97 and night temps are usually 80 to 85. I keep the humidity up my using ultrasonic foggers evap. spounges and a habba mister set on 6 hour intervels....

Back