What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Before there was a Nepenthes hamata or a N. jacquelinae, THIS was the big dog on the epiphyte block:

N.%20burbidgeae%20peristome.jpg

Very light-colored version of a very beautiful plant.

Nepenthes%20burbidgeae%20lower.jpg

Pitcher opened about 10 days ago, exactly 20 cm tall.

Nepenthes%20burbidgeae%20pot.jpg

This plant offset when quite small, so it has two good rosettes. The tendril pictured is 49 cm long. Plant is generating two new pitchers at this point.

Question for the various oracles on the forum: how big do N. burbidgeae lowers actually get in cultivation? The lit says 20 cm for wild plants, but Geoff Mansell posted a pic on his website a while back that suggested something more like 35 cm was possible.

Enjoy,

SJ

Great photos of my favorite Nep..
smile.gif

cheers

bill

SJ,

How envious I am. I could set something like that outside here, and it would not last a day, lol.
I don't know what your countries customs are like, but I bet you don't get to trade with other enthusiasts in your neck of the woods, lol.

Cheers,

Joe

Very nice! One of my favorites as well.

My resources say around 25cm tall and 10cm wide. That picture from Exotica showed Geoff putting a fist into the pitcher. I would imagine a full sized lower pitcher should be big enough.

Also keep in mind that size is based on culture. It is quite feasible that under controlled optimum growing conditions you might produce plants/pitchers which exceed the sizes listed in the species descriptions.
Tony

What a great looking Burb,a while before mine gets anywhere near that(if ever).
Bye for now julian

Great looking N. burbidgeae! Neps are so cool..
smile_k_ani_32.gif

thats a nice one love the light colored one its super cool looking!!!

Awesome N. Burbidgeae you got there.

Back