What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland terrariums

how do you get your temperatures down in your highland and ultrahighland chambers and still manage to keep the humidity high? (like if you use a AC)

many people use evaporative coolers. you can hook up a humidifier to the output hose/tube of the AC unit that way it humidifies the cold/cool air.

Yeah i've heard about that. I've also heard about people putting ice cubes around the tank, can anybody verify? I'd like to hear what other people do as well.

seems to me the cheapest way if you have a decent sized tank would be the air conditioner plus humidifier. a wally world air conditioner is what $99-$125 or so, humidifiers can be had for under $20. lil bit of creative plumbing. should be able to cool a decent sized grow chamber quite efficiently. not sure how well this would work for ultra highlands though. for something smaller your guess is as good as mine. the ice trick only works in small spaces and is prone to failure(what happens if you have to skip town for a couple days?)

Rattler

OK i have this debate going and someone tried to tell me 90 degree day temperatures for highlands and ultrahighlands was acceptable. From what i understand the temperatures should be around 45 degrees at night and 75 (maybe 80) during the day. Whos right here

80 during the day would be ok. 90 is really pushing it and getting into the realm of stressing out the plants. For normal highland plants low 50s at night would suffice as well.
Tony

ok, so 90 during the day and 60-50 at night is fine then?

I have gone up to 100 with my highlanders... They do fine in the day as long as they have cool water, BUT! (and that is a very BIG <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>BUT!</span>) The night MUST be very cool if you decide to have hot days... For lowlanders, nights can be very cold, as long as the days are very warm/hot. Also humidity must be over 80%... I only reccomend this if you MUST do it...

you can do that with LL's but not super LL's like bical, amp and northiana....

No I don't think 90 is fine. Once in a blue moon for a short while they will handle 90 but day after day I don't think would be advisable.

Where I live we do have a few days in a row of 90-100F weather but at night it goes down into the low 60s and mid 50s. I also spray my plant down with cool water in the afternoon which seems to help. One more thing, usually by the time it gets into the 90s-100s my plants are in the shade...

being specific for an N. Tiveyi, 90 degree's during the day and 60-50 at night is good?, oh and also if since during the day you make it really hot and at night u must make it cold, what if you dont make it very hot during the day, you keep it around 60 or so, would you still need to make it cold?

Cold during the day occasionally won't be a problem but if it is like that for days on end for a long period the plants will suffer. If it is not warm enough during the day the plants won't grow.

from what i know its around 85 degrees during the day and around 50 at night. Thats for the "not so high neps" i know n. villosa should get daytime temps of no more than 75 (or 80) and nightime temps of 39. correct me if im wrong

we'll as far as i know, diffrent highland neps have diffrent temps. wether they are "not so high" they are still highland neps..i stand corrected (inside convo folks)

N. villosa is deffinately on the extreame edge.

The range of 50-55 night and 80-85 day Amateur Expert would be fine for most highland, many intermediate and even a few of the tolerant lowland plants.
Tony

the way i get my temps down is to keep the tank in the basement. its usually 20C their and colder at night. when the air conditioner is on, it gets even colder.

i actually thought that my temps were higher before, until i found that my thermometer didn't match that of about......5 other thermometers
biggrin.gif
. Zongyi

Back