What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Few new plants

Went to visit Triffid Park (Melbourne Australia) for the first time today and like any good Nep lover did not walk away without doing my bit to keep the hobby/industry going
smilie4.gif

However, that's also a down side... Now I want a hoop hothouse!  Coming home to my 8x12" glasshouse, it seemed just sooo small after the large hoohouses they have.  The width and height would be so awesome to have.  One day.

N. Vieillardii 'Mt Kagnis Giant'
NVieillardiiMtKagnuGiant.jpg

N. rafflesiana - No idea what form
smile_l_32.gif

NRafflesianaTriffid.jpg

N. pervillei - tiny at about 2-3cm diameter.
NPervillei.jpg

N. khasiana
NKhasiana.jpg

Needless to say, all need a litle TLC to bring up to their potential beauty.

Aaron.

i cant see them
smile_h_32.gif

The N. rafflesiana looks like the Singapore Giant form, though I'm not sure.

Hi Aaron
A few unusual ones there.Did you get any snaps of the Nursery?
Bye for now julian

you are so lucky you got that pervillei!!!!!! I really want one of those! its like numer three on my "Flips most wanted list" !!! I even take one smaller then that. Its just an awesome plant I hope yours does well for you.

oh does your rafflensiana have small hairs on its leaves? If so then it may be a elongota. My elongota has small hair over it whilst my giant form does not...

JLP,

Photos did not work when I first posted.  Must have been something with Photobucket.  All good now though.

Julian,

Yes, a few interesting things were found.  I was on my lunch break so had little time.  Given another hour or two I am sure I could have found a few other little goodies!  Next trip.

No snaps unfortunately as it was not a pre-planned vist.  They do have their annual open-day in late October, so I will take a few then if I can get there.

Their setup is 5-6 large hoop houses (maybe 5x20 meters each).  Neps (and other delicates) are housed in 2x that are heated.  All Neps are bottom watered using capilary mats, which I found odd, but it seems to work for them.  There is NO overhead watering at all for the neps.

The other 3-4 houses are for all the other CPs.  They also have water plants outside.

Colin, Jess,

Really not sure on the ID.  I have both Sing. Giant and Elongata (plus 3x other forms as I love my Raffs!), but could not say it is close enough to either to confirm.  Until I get a few pitchers to form on the plant it's to hard to tell.

Aaron.

Edit... Just another thought on that bottom watering they use.  Add to this that their Neps are ONLY potted in peat with maybe a little vermiculite or perlite.  Pretty heavy and wet mix I'd have thought for Neps!?

ok i see now! that raff. is something else! wicked cool!

Congrats on the new plants! Lol. another raff fan ;)

There are a lot of nursery people that use a very basic mix like that.
Of course the DeGroot plants are potted in pure peat and look how big they arrive! Somebody mentioned on the ICPS listserve that they got a huge bical from one of the Florida growers and it was in pure peat.
Capillary mats work wonders for some. Is it **** Trans who uses them very succesfully on the West Coast for cephs and other plants?

Cheers,

Joe

Back