What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes macrovulgaris

Hey guys/gals who has one of these? I think they're awesome and I have one on its way to my house. I've always wanted one but only ever able to get a hybrid on one. So now that I'll soon have one since Its a somewhat uncommon nep I was wondering who else grows it? Oye and you have any pics by chance?

I'm so excited can't wait untill it comes, its one of three plants on thier way. I also have a red albomarginata and a large (12+) merrilliana on its way, did I mention I was excited? This week is plant week for me
smile.gif

I too looked for macrovulgaris and it was always sold out when I could find it.

Joe

no one grows this? I mean I know one of you does but thats obvious he has every plant
smile_m_32.gif
lol...

lol I grow it. To be honest I have found it to be a rather slow grower in my environment, which seems to be a little to cool. It should be a great plants when it gets larger. "Nepenthes of Borneo" has a great photo of it on page 100.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

Hey Flip side,
I grow it, but it's a hard one...a least for me. Or maybe I was hard on it? lol
I ordered macrophylla, but I got macrovulgaris. eh' simple mistake.
anybody got any growing tips?

Robin

and what dont you grow? i swear i should talk Darla into going to see her friend down in Colorado Springs again so i can see your collection...........maybe next summer................

I heard it likes super humid conditions, very humid indeed. The plant I'm getting is about 4" so I'm excited to see how it will do in my new lowland chamber. The parameters in my new chamber I are extremely stable and adjustable as well. I can "tune" basically to what my plants desire. I could even turn it highland if I wanted but now why would I do that
cool.gif
maybe someday I'll make another chamber identicle to it for HL'ers

Hello

Well to be honest the last pitchers have not looked very good. The next pitchers should be a little better.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

I`d like to see how that D.m.'clumping cultivar' is doing for you Jerimiah. Also did you get my sase for those nep seeds?

Hey pond boy.... can you use the Private message function if you're going to ask questions that pertain to matters of only you and one other member? you post doesn't even remotely have anything to do with this thread, I mean come on now? have some respect for others threads... You're not even talking about neps, of all things the VFT the least closest thing to nepenthes... Any ways this is just FYI

N. macrovulgaris an atypical lowland or relaxed lowland, because it grows well under intermediate conditions, high humidity, but a slow grower.

Gus

I also agree with Flip. please have respect for one another and add information that pertains to the topic at hand.

Now, with that bit out of the way, I grow it as well. Its only a small plant but it seems slow and reasonably easy as long as its humid and warm. It is a very frail plant I think, the leave are awfully thin and fragile.

My N.tomoriana is thriving in my room temp. 100% humidity tank. Would N.macrovulgaris grow there. I also want to try N.belli.

Most people say N. tomoriana is difficult. I think it is very easy under normal house conditions in a small tank under lights. My plant is a small 8 inch plant, but it is growing very rapidly and making new traps on every leaf.

Thier thin leaves are probly why they need it so humid. Thats how my N. philpinensis is, the slightest drop and its leaves droop. Slurm I'm not sure since I don't have my plant yet but I would think so. How do you like your N. tomoriana? I like that plant too, its been on my back burn "to get" list for quite some time.

I know i'm a little off topic but Flip mentioned Tomoriana. Besides the macrovulgaris I have had my eye on the tomriana X tiveyi at Tony's.
For those of you who have the macro. are the pitchers as blue/purple as pictures of them look?

Joe

Hello

Hmm NepG My plant has very thick leaves as thick as any Nepenthes I grow. All the photos I have seen it looks like the leaves are just a thick as N. maxima or such, nothing near as thin as something like N. mirabilis.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

hmm now I'm confused... So does it have thin leaves or not? I was told they need really high humidity so I'm assuming thier leaves can't be that thick. But then again its all relative, what one might think is thick another might not.

Posting pics of each persons plant might clear some things up. And don't be shy if your plant is a but ragged.... wink wink Jeremiah

my macro is about 3" across, and has thick leaves like raja. looks a lot like a raja with no pitchers.???

Back