What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N sanguinea

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
i'm getting an N. sanguinea soon, and just wanted to know how it will fair in a lowland tank. summer temps are about 90 in the day, mid 80's at night. fall and winter temps are about mid-hogh 80 days, about 70 at night.

also, while i'm at it, what is the lowest minimum temp to let lowlanders get? for example, is 68 too low? i'm thinking 60 would be the lowest one can go safely but i just wanted to make sure.

thanks
clint

Hi Clint,

It kinda depends upon the form of N. sanguinea you're gonna get. The "orange" from Borneo Exotics is very easily grown in the conditions you describe. It's very similar to my "lowland/intermediate" chamber which does get down to 60-65 in coldest times of winter with no plants complaining. However the "Red" form from Borneo Exotics does not seem to do as well in these same conditions. I will someday untangle it's vine and move it to a new highland chamber and hope for more massive pitchers.

As far as how cold lowlanders can get that depends upon what you expect of them. The "true" lowlanders (amp, bical, mirabilis, raff, etc, most of those found under 1000m) will start to struggle if the temps get much below 70*F for any appreciable length of time. It slows their metabolism down and takes a good while to gain any momentum in growth back. They will often refuse to pitcher when it gets too cool, even if the light and humidity remain high.

Hope that helps!

thanks swords. i'll ask the person who's giving it to me what form it is (i pray to god it's orange! is orange more common? lets hope so for my sake)

and i can raise the temps up to 70 min., not a problem, just wanted to double check. thanks!

Yes the orange is quite common. it's actually more yellow, unless it gets really good sunlight, when it will turn all orange.
Here's the orangest pitcher I've gotten under 400 W of metal halides
sanguineaorange2.jpg

I've got one 15-17 cm upper on it which started out all green but is now just not as intensely colored from the one above. The uppers didn't form until the tendril could curl around the plastic grids on the wall:
sanguineaorange3.jpg

It grew into a big meter + plant like this in one year after it arrived as a 6-8" plant last August. The red form grew almost as tall and also made a basal shoot in that time but the pitchers aren't as large so it my guess that it would like cooler temperatures. Oh yes, I've been able to contain both in 6" pots as well so that's nice!
smile.gif

Josh,
Over a meter? Sheesh. Mine just started to show major increases in leaf diameter, but I didn't realize it was going to need it's own chamber....

Hi all:

I always thought of sanguinea as a highland/intermediate rather than a lowland intermediate. how many lowland/intermediates are there?

Gus

Regarding adaptability, i do believe this species is easier to grow than ventricosa in general terms.

Gus

Hi Gus and All,
Living here in the south Florida lowlands, sanguinea is touchy. Ventricosa can sometimes be a bit touchy too. It all depends upon how high up the hill the plant originated.

Trent

he said it's "typical",. orange and green in shade, red in sun.

so it's orange right?

Sanguinea has a reasonably broad altitudinal range, some forms are found at quite low altitudes (especially some of the green forms), and some are definitely more intermediate and highland. All highland plants will hit a night temperature where they stop pitchering, as Trent mentioned, even ventricosa will stop pitchering if nights are consistently above 18-19C. The purple form of sanguinea is another that will stop pitchering when the nights are warm. Like with all these plants, you live and learn...

Hamish

i guess i'll take it then. worst thing that can happen is it doesn't pitcher and i'll trade it away for something else. thanks!
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (agustinfranco @ Sep. 20 2004,3:31)]Regarding adaptability, i do believe this species is easier to grow than ventricosa in general terms.

Gus
Ditto to that!
smile.gif
smile_l_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ Sep. 19 2004,7:21)]Hi Clint,

It kinda depends upon the form of N. sanguinea you're gonna get. The "orange" from Borneo Exotics is very easily grown in the conditions you describe. It's very similar to my "lowland/intermediate" chamber which does get down to 60-65 in coldest times of winter with no plants complaining. However the "Red" form from Borneo Exotics does not seem to do as well in these same conditions. I will someday untangle it's vine and move it to a new highland chamber and hope for more massive pitchers.

As far as how cold lowlanders can get that depends upon what you expect of them. The "true" lowlanders (amp, bical, mirabilis, raff, etc, most of those found under 1000m) will start to struggle if the temps get much below 70*F for any appreciable length of time. It slows their metabolism down and takes a good while to gain any momentum in growth back. They will often refuse to pitcher when it gets too cool, even if the light and humidity remain high.

Hope that helps!
Ummm...I treat my raff like a highlander and temps have dropped below 45 degrees on numerous ocasiouns and there were no bad results save some slowed growth.

At the nature center in my town, there is a lowland greenhouse with many highland plants doing fine. There are many n.sanguineas. One has a trap over a foot long.

are those real sanguineas or hybrids?

any photos would help!

Gus

SydneyNeps wrote:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]even ventricosa will stop pitchering if nights are consistently above 18-19C.

Not for me. Nights are always 24+C. N. ventricosa 'black peristome' and N. sanguinea (both Malesiana) are always pitchering. I have them for a year now.

Volker

Hi,

I have a n.sanguinea (red) x (purple) and originally it was in a highland tank. Didn't do so well. So then I placed it in intermediate conditions and the plant started growing again. Better yet I moved the plant to the lowland chamber and I have noticed that it grows alot faster and pitchers well. Personally I feel that the plant needs to be in conditions between intermediate and lowland for it to thrive and do well. Also you need to find out what conditions (ie. temperature range) that the plant was in initially because it would be better off for the plant.

I found the same goes for n.campanulata

Christian

Back