What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diy overhead misting system for green house

Hi,
For those of you who keep your nepenthes in an enclosure(green house), do you have your own automatic misting system?
I think I really need one to increase the humidity.
How do you guys set it up?
Do you use water timers, if so what brand is good?
Do you attached mister heads eg. like fogg-it?
Any pictures of the setup?

Hi
When I first set up my Neps house it shared the area with Sarr. So I had a sectioned off area built with door. I rigged up some plastic tubing around this area with mist nozzles positioned along it. This was attached to a water tank with a small pump in-between. I had originally intended to either set it off using a timer or a humidstat. But eventually just left it to manually setting it off several times a day.

Since them I have moved my Sarr into another greenhouse and now use the rest of the house for Neps as well. This area is open in the summer with two roof vents and the door is open as well. I occasionally hand mist the plants on very hot days. They are watered from above and as they stand on upturned pots do not sit in the water than collects on the staging. But they receive no other misting and are doing fine.  
smile.gif

Cetainly for me, localised humidity from the compost and any water that collects on the staging is all I need. My original thoughts of needing 80/90% humidity are long since gone.

cheers

bill

Hi Vistary
I agree with Bill in that i dont worry about humidity,i just splash water about and as it drain,s straight through on to a gravel floor it keeps it nice and damp in there.

Bye for now Julian

LOL,  I just PM'd Julian about this exact topic!

Here’s my unnecessarily (by the sounds of it) complex setup as I describe to Julian:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have a gravel floor with is watered by a spray system and automatic timer.  The floor is sprayed down for 1 minute every 3 hours during daylight hours.

I then have a misting system and balance-arm switch.  This is connected to a thermostat and only activates the system once the temperature reaches 23C+.  I did have it running at all times but the plants got too wet when the temps were low and I had some issues with Sooty Mould.  Connecting it to the thermo seems to have done the trick though.

Other than that I hand water the pots about once per week.

In addition to this I have foam and plastic boxes under all the main shelving units that are filled with water.  I also have the water trays that my VFTs are sitting in through the summer months.

For me I find the most important issue is to control the temperature.  So long as I can keep temps under 35C the humidity never drops under 50-60%, which is fine, but if it spikes over that humidity drops of rapidly.

I’m also looking to add an evaporative cooler this summer so that will assist in keeping the humidity up and the temp down on the hot and dry days we get here through summer.

Aaron.

I have an automatic misting system run on a short range cyclestat misting timer. Basically, I have the pump kick on every 15 mintues and mist for like 15 seconds. This is fueled from the big RO resevoir.

what brand of water timers do you guys use for misting purposes?

Back