What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"what the __ are you!?"

• Thread starter rlhirst
  • Start date
Hi Trent:

If you go to Geoff's webpage you can see there are a couple of siblings which look remarkedly different from each other even though the peristome looks very similar!. bumpy and cute.

It'd be very difficult to predict that the teeth of the N X predator would be larger than those of the hamata parent, since one of the parents has no teeth in the peristome, as is the case of truncata. The only chance one has to get something with larger teeth than the hamata parent, in my judgement is to cross

Hamata X villosa
Hamata X macrophylla
Hamata X edwardsiana

Or any other neps with large teeth. Please notice i said "a chance to get larger teeth". Dominance or codominance should prevail, hopefully.

Gus

Trent,
I can see from successive pitcher development, on at least the seedlings I have, that the teeth of the mature pitcher will be less pronounced than hamata.

predator.jpg

I am guessing they will end up looking similar to diatus teeth, depending on the seedling one get's. I do agree though that the upper pitchers will have relativley bigger teeth than the lowers
I believe they would have to be crossed again with hamata to get more hamata size teeth

Gus,
After looking at your list, it came to me that you wouldn't need truncata at all to make a hamata pitcher both larger, including hybrid vigour, and with bigger teeth than the parent. If you simply crossed any of the plants on your list, they "may" exhibit the size increase some crosses display, such as red leopard, or maxima x veitchii do.   ... or am I way off here?

Of course I must have all the crosses you named!!!.....(rubbing hands together).... I can't get the picture of Hamata X edwardsiana out of my head!

Robin
smilie4.gif

Nice pics Robin. Looks like you haven't put them down yet since they got there LOL.

I don't expect tons of variation in the seedlings. Most primary hybrids are fairly uniform since you have a nice even split on the chromosomes. To bring out a wide amount of variation you could add another species but simply crossing 2 N. Predator together would give you alot of chromosome recombination and perhaps a small percentage would then exhibit the big ol teeth again.

Tony

LOL ! You got me Tony!

I am very proud of my new plants
smile.gif
smile.gif
 Thank You again!  

Crossing 2 Predators sounds promising... I hope you will be working on that soon !
smile_m_32.gif

Put me on the waiting list!

Robin:

I was not concentrating on pitcher size but teeth size in these hypothetical hybrids.

Gus

Furthermore, the truncata used to make the N x predator is not the one with the red peristome but the one with the striped peristome. In any event, it is a beatiful plant. I am sure more is coming our way soon.

Gus

Oops, sorry Gus. My mistake.
Thank You for the clarification on the peristome color.
smile.gif

Do you guys grow N x predator as a intermediate or highland?

Good question Cindy,
I'm growing one as a highlander, and one as an intermediate. We'll see which one does better.

How bout you Capslock?

rlhirst:

i have one and i am growing it as an intermediate. the bugger grows well in intermediate conditions so far. let's hope it does not fail me.

Gus

Thanks Gus. Got any pics for us?
OK we got 2 intermediate growers for ya' Cindy. I'll probably leave one of mine in my highland settup, unless it falls behind in growth, because it has much better lighting than my lowland setup, and I would like to bring out as much color in it as possible.
smile_m_32.gif

Robin

Hi Rlhirst:

Itried to take this photo as close as possible to the peristome. If i am not mistaken, i see teeth protruding downwards. I wish i had a higher resolution camera, but i guess this will have to do.

truncham0002.JPG

Gus

Here you go....

This is my latest pitcher at about 8-10cm.

Pretty clear that there are both ridges and teeth.

NPredatorTeeth.jpg

At 8-10cm the 'general' size (proportionally) and shape of the peristome, ribs and teeth 'look' about on par with those of my N. hamata which is producing 3-4cm pitchers.

Aaron.

The peristome is starting to look macrophylla-ish, isn't it...

What's its chances next to a emmarene, ventrata or miranda?
smile_n_32.gif
I'm pushing my luck here 'cos I have n.bicalcarata at the same place too.

Thanks, Gus, and Aaron!
looks like you guys both got good ones!
Between both of your pics,and Ch'ien's, I've got envy overload!!!!

Well so far, Aaron has the biggest most developed N x preadtor I have seen. Very nice Sir!

Robin

I think mine may be even a pitcher ahead of Aaron's plant... The next leaf is promising an absolute brute pitcher, but unfortunately my camera charger is at the ranch... Soon I will have pics!
smile.gif

Aaron that is way cool! That is a very nice and developed N.predator and is also the most developed I`ve seen. Lithops I anxiousley await you`r photos!
smile.gif

So do I! Hopefully will be at the ranch this weekend...
smile.gif

Back