What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"what the __ are you!?"

• Thread starter rlhirst
  • Start date
Got this today in the mail.  
smile_n_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif

Thanks Tony!
Oooh.. these guys look very promising.

predator.jpg

Same question here. Anybody got any pics of an older plant?

Thank's,
Robin

vicious Nepenthes.

i've noticed that this particular specimen carries the throat coloring and peristome coloring similar to x 'Judith Finn' when a juvenile.

god bless that peristome.
biggrin.gif

I think that's a predatory species!

Capslock

You called it Caps!
Do you, or anyone know what form and color of truncata was used in the cross?

Thanks,
Robin

There are only really two forms: red peristome and striped peristome. Probably the red peristome variety as it's the most common, especially in what Geoff grows.

Thanks SydneyNeps,
I bet Jeoff Has pics of a more mature plant! Does he post here? Geoff!!??
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Robin,
I asked this before, when I posted a pic of mine. It seems that they are all still seedlings, and nobody has one too far along yet. I guess we'll find out what they look like firsthand!

Capslock

N_x_Predator.sized.jpg

PS: It's growing like crazy, too!

Does it progress faster than N. truncata? Truncata is such a slow species and hamata is very rapid. I need to locate me one of them...

Odds on its growth will be intermediate between the two, which has been my experience will just about every other truncata hybrid I've got. But one thing with Nepenthes, which I say often, is that you need to be patient....

I got mine yesterday! 4 inch pitcher on a 4 inch leaf, the next leaf is coming in at 6"... Looks like it carries truncata's trait of getting way bigger with every leaf...
smile.gif

Hamish, maybe you could answer this...have you ever been to the Mansell's place and seen how he grows his big truncatas? I know he has a big greenhouse for the 'stud plant' collection that has cooling pads at one end. Does he grow his truncatas down at that end or up in the warm area? Just curious.

Trent

What I was saying is that there is very little variability within lowland truncata. It sounded as if there was some confusion as to whether this could be a hybrid using the highland version (which has tremendous variability). It is definitely not a hybrid with the highland variety because none of them in cultivation are anywhere near flowering size. Rob Cantley at Borneo Exotics would be the only person on the planet who would have a highland truncata at anywhere near flowering size. I haven't been to Geoff's nursery, so I can't say how he grows his plants, but lowland truncata are best when kept in normal lowland conditions. I don't even know whether Geoff has any highland truncata in cultivation, as he was very dismissive of them when I made an enquiry about whether he had any.

Lowland truncata all have green pitchers with either red or striped peristomes. It is also a species that is very tolerant of cold weather, and will happily grow in a highland environment, although more slowly than it would in a pure lowland set-up (which is not really fast to start with).

Anyone looking for N. Predator in Oz should check out Exoticaplants.com they've just got some in stock. But everyone probably knew that. Don't know why i posted it... meh!

Olly
smile_l_32.gif

Very nice! I like the peristome coloration and teeth on yours rlhirst:)

Actually, they don't have them in stock. They sold out a couple of months ago, but should have them again soo.

N. truncata lowland I PERSONALLY feel isn't "death on crutches" slow but just steady. I grow mine in highland conditions (oft dropping down to around 10-8C this time of year) since the majority of my collection is highland plants. Perhaps I just do not notice how slow it really is since I have so many other plants to watch on!

Not to mention you can supply it with a healthy meal of salamanders, occasionally.....
smile_m_32.gif

Thank you  Hamish for the clarification.. Yes I was wondering if it was lowland or highland truncata, and if it was typical lowland color, so that I could get a good idea of what the predator will end up looking like. I was hoping the truncata used would be a red peristome lowaland, to me that would be the best form and color to use, as it perfectly compliments hamata's shape, and color. We should end up with what looks like a large hamata
smile.gif
smile.gif
of course I don't expect the teeth to be as pronounced, but after I cross it again with one of my hamata, it should be PERFECT!!
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Hmmm.. What should we call that hybrid?  Terminator?...Alien?....the Thing?
smile_m_32.gif

Robin

As the N. xPredator plants mature, I am curious to see how much variation there will be amongst the siblings, especially the peristomes.

Trent

Back