What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I hope......

God I hope I didn't kill my gubler nep. I got this plant about a month ago.
nep1rs.JPG

It seemed to be growing so so. I also have a ventricosa and a sanguinea that are about the same size.
The ventricosa grew 2 new leaves and a 3rd one is sprouting in the time it took the gubler nep to grow 1 leaf. I just got the sanguinea and it has started growing a new leaf too.
Also, the gubler nep had a 1/2 inch long pitcher that I had been waiting for 3 weeks to get bigger so I can ID the plant.
The vent also has a small (smaller than the gubler) pitcher that already doubled in size over a 3 day period. The gubler nep pitcher stopped growing, and turned brown and a couple bottom leaves were turning yellow.
I'm suspecting root rot.
Sooooo I noticed the soil in the gubler pot looked different than the others. I was looking at the soil and it looked like rotten peat or something.
I mixed up 30% peat, 30% perlite, and 30% sphagnum and repotted the plant. The old soil was waterlogged compacted rotten stinky sphagnum. The plant had very few roots. it probably will go into shock. Only time will tell, I hope I didn't kill it.

Sounds like you've done the right thing. Now just leave it alone, and it should come back fine, though it probably won't grow much for a few months.

Capslock

I agree. using some peat was smart, since it's used to it. Adding perlite for a little more drainage-I think you did a good job.

Cheers,

Joe

Well the plant looks better than it did so far, 1 day later. Even the small pitcher bud is still growing. I'm sure it will go into shock though.

you did the right thing, and even if it does go into shock it should come out fairly fast

Back