What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. albomarginata, sanguinea and rafflesiana

Hi,

FYI a steel engraving I got recently through Ebay:

Nepenthes_Stich.jpg

It originates from a magazine called "The garden". Does anyone know how old it is?

Cheers Joachim

Nice. I have some prints of other cp, but have never been able to nab a Nepenthes.
Well done.

Joe

Maybe I am reading too much into it but doesn't it say 1624 on the left there?? Might that be the year of production??

I've sen those around, Its most likely from the mid to late 1800's

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Maybe I am reading too much into it but doesn't it say 1624 on the left there??

Nah, the first Nep (madagascariensis) was discovered 1658. The Name 'Nepenthes' was defined by Linne in 1737.
Thomas Lobb, who was one of the plant collectors of the veitch nurseries, collected in 1848 N. albo-marginata and N.sanguinea. N. rafflesiana went about 20 years earlier in cultivation.
So, your print is not older than 1848
smile.gif

Viele Grüße, Volker

Source: Pitcher-plants of Borneo, 1996, Phillipps et al.

Very sweet! If I didn't have my house wall papered with heavy metal posters I'd have botanical prints everywhere!

Hmm, do you think "the Garden" might be short for The Gardener's Chronicle? I know that won't help with an exact date but that should put it in the victorian era.

Hi,

many thanks for your replies. Personally I prefer plant pictures over Heavy Metal Posters, but mostly I have posters of Chagall, Klee, Picasso, Hundertwasser and some others on my walls.
smile_m_32.gif

Cheers Joachim

Back