What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water question...

I have several nepenthes. About 2 weeks ago I moved back into the college dorms and had to bring my neps with me. I immediately bought 5 jugs of distilled water which has lasted me a bit but I am running out. Back home I had an endless supply of rain water but here I have to purchase it. I remember reading somewhere on the net that neps were hardier when it came to being able to use tap water. Now I know that since I live in the city our water is heavily chloronated and isn't of to high a quality. I was wondering could I give the water to my neps if I run it through one of those brita filters and then let the chlorine evaporate. Any other ways I could cheaply clean my water for my plants?

It really depends on the water quality of the local supply. Neps are sensitive to dissolved salts in the water, and if your local water supply is low in dissolved salts, then you can water with mechanical filtration, or even just let the water stand for 24 hours (which is what I can do where I live). But most town water is not so pure, and normal filtration won't be enough. Using poor water can kill your plants...

Hmm that's what I was hoping not to hear...

I tend to find that only in the places with really bad water quality are places in which Nepenthes cannot survive. I've grown them in a fair few places! But in sydney where i now live i have thriving nepenthes on tap water especially a N. 'Allardii' which has residue on its leaves. So yes nepenthes are the plants that have a high resistance to bad water and unless your water is really polluted it should be fine!

Hope it helps,
Olly

The general rule for dissolved salts is 100ppm. If your water is less than that, then you'd get away with filtration. Above that, and plants will start to be affected. Some town water, and most bore water, can be lethal to Neps. I have a friend who lost hundreds of Neps from using bore water.

If the water is not bad, but not great, you can help things out by flusing the medium out with rainwater every few weeks.

Hmm I'm gonna have to figure out where the water from our dorm comes from so I can call them up and ask them. If it was below 100 ppm that would truly rock... Today we were at Lowe's and I actually contemplated on buying a RO system and then ripping all the plumbing out of our dorm...

i water with regular well water and always have, but to be on the safe side i flush everything out very well one a month or so.

Back