What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do large truncatas really eat?: real mice

Hi all:

I am very excited, as usual, about good nepenthes pictures, since this is part of my new life with these beauties. Anyway, Tony mentioned a thread or two ago, what do Large striped truncatas really eat? DIET Coke?: I don't think so!. Thanks Geoff and Andrea for sharing this photo with us:

Please see it for yourselves:

truncandmouse.jpg

Now, is anybody ready for lunch?.

Gus

Ummmmm..smack, smack. That is one swig of pitcher juice I DO NOT want, lol.

cough cough... it was me :p
but
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

do you by any chance know if they have digestive juices (if they do, they must be some pretty strong ones!) or if they just let it rot? (I bet it must STINK!)

Yes N.truncata has digestive enzymes. Thanks for shareing Agustin! This is pretty cool,yet very gross.Lol.

Auugh!! That is one of the most disgusting and intruiging things I've ever seen...

Makes sure no one is looking and goes searching for some mice.

j/k...

I have heard that digestion of mamals is a rather repulsive smell in a Nep pitcher.
Very cool indeed

Thanks Augustin
Joe

N. truncata is a beast.. Insects perish very quickly, faster than most other Nepenthes. I am sure the mouse didn't last much longer!

One of the joys of shipping Nepenthes is dumping all the traps. And in some cases the occasional rinse out before I stick the plant into the box headed to the packaging facility (fancy word for my kitchen counter).

T

Wow that pitcher must have been like a little mousy torcher chamber before it died. I'd probably let something like that free if I saw it in a pitcher....if it was still alive. I don't wanna smell it AND it's kinda....mean. Poor little guy.

you'd think the mouse would have chewed his way out?

Don't let PETA see that one
biggrin.gif

Hi all. We have finally joined your interesting forum . We have seen our name(Exotica Plants) talked about a bit so thought we would join in. Thanks Gus for posting the photo, we are not sure how to do it yet.
It may seem cruel seeing the mouse like that but it happens all the time in our nursery and no doubt in the wild. Andrea rescues the occasional one but it is usually too late as I assume it happens at night. From our experience they drown pretty quickly and are at the stage in the photo in about 5 days and surprisingly do not smell unless tipped out.  In fact one of our large N.xtrusmardiensis plants had 3 in separate pitchers and they do not smell.
We did have a large cane toad in an N.Dyeriana pitcher,though. It was only 1/2 in and it was a bit on the nose and rotted the pitcher. So I would say that as long as they are submerged in the pitcher fluid they do not smell.

Geoff

Worms stink to high heavens for a few days. I decided to try some in truncata and N. x miranda.

Nice to see you here Geoff!

Very interesting
laugh.gif

Hi Geoff:

It is an honour to have you in the forums. Welcome and i hope you can display those wonderful hybrids you only know how to create.

Gus
smile_m_32.gif

Hi Geoff,

I was wondering about emailing you to inquire why you had not joined yet, lol. As you stated, we do talk about you a lot, lol.
I have tried pieces of nightcrawler in VFT. Well, they rotted,as you would expect. Nepenthes are obviously able to handle that kind of stuff better, but it's great of you to report that incident, Dustin. Maybe since they don't have chitin or bone to off-set all that fatty, rich , succulent meat, worms and cp just don't mix.
"Just say no to worms!"

Cheers,

Joe

Wow Chrono that green is intense!

Welcome Geoff

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Oct. 04 2004,8:44)]"Just say no to worms!"

Cheers,

Joe
"I'd rather eat bugs than do herbacide" is what all nepenthes learn in elementary school
smile_m_32.gif

Welcome Geoff! I'm a huge fan of your business and growing talents! I am the lucky owner of a number of your great hybrids as well.

Casplock

Back