What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowland time to come in

ok its cooling down now and temps are hiting 40s 50s at night and tomorow night it will be 40 or lower i think its time . do you have you brought yours in yet. I usually like to keep them out as long as i can cause humidity is nice out and they pitcher. but inside nope.

Yes bring them in. That is way too cold for most lowlanders and about ideal\a little too cold for highlanders.

my highlands will move in after lowlands are in

i would have brought them inside a long time ago..

I don't have any experience with lowland Neps, other than for the little N. rafflesiana I got this summer.  But I do the same with orchids that you do with Neps and will push the Neps' limits more as I gain more experience.

I'm convinced exposure to extra cold is worthwhile because it allows a longer time outside with humidity, dew, and other good things.  It would be different if I had a greenhouse or Nep chamber or lived somewhere with less winter.  But my Neps serve their indoor time either in narrow windows or under not enough fluorescent light.  With neither place having humidity going much over 50% and often staying quite a bit less.  Especially in the windows.

But I've watched some hot-growing orchids tolerate a few nights in the upper 40s while others shut down for months afterwards.  I think I have it more or less figured out for them but, until I have a better sense of the Neps, the N. raff won't stay out below the mid 50s and the highlanders won't go much further.

raffs are pretty tolerant compred to others. try that with some and they'll die really fast. extra cold can and will stunt lowland nepenthes, thats why they are lowland and not highland
smile.gif

it slows their metabolism down to an ungodly slow level, and if they dont die, they are stunted and it takes them a long time to get back in the normal growth pattern.

I agree my raff from pft has gone down to the high 30`s many times and has more then doubled in size since april:)

Back