What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me identify these two neps from petflytrap

I ordered two neps on Sep 11th and received them today finally.
I ordered a N. ventricosa and a N. rafflesiana.

Upon receiving and looking at them, I have to say they are both ventricosa. The plants were not labeled at all.

Can someone please help distinguish them for me or tell me if they are the same species. If they are the same then I have to contact them to ship me the correct plant and also my 20 missing white plant tags.

Here are the two Neps in my terrarium:
Nep1.jpg

Nep2.jpg

Thanks.

you definatly need to contact them and get yourself the N. rafflensiana you ordered and your ventricosa because those two plants look like they are N. ventrata, a hybrid of N. ventricosa and N. alata

you definatly need to contact them and get yourself the N. rafflensiana you ordered and your ventricosa because those two plants look like they are N. ventrata, a hybrid of N. ventricosa and N. alata

So it's neither of the plants I ordered?

Weird. Anyone else wanna confirm this?
smile_h_32.gif

Immature N. ventricosa can look like that. So I would reserve judgement on that. The leaves look like N. ventricosa. Deffinately no N. rafflesiana though.

T

I think both are N ventricosa.
I ordered such young neps fr Malesiana some time back, and the pitchers are very similar to yours.

Ditto.Both are ventricosa. I would call them and get this little mess up fixed. They are usualy very good but nobody is perfect...

even though it's a baby, the leaves of ventricosa's are banana shaped (like elongates ovals) and ventrata's have pointed leaves, like the pic.

O hmm You know I just saw it... they are sitting in about 1" of somewhat murky water.  That would not be a good plan to leave them like that if you have.  Hopefully you were just letting them get wet and have now raised them up above the water.

Tony

ps I disagree on the leaves.. The leaf blade tapers uniformly down to where it connects to the stem.  N. Ventrata has a more spatula shape where it narrows sharply about the mid point then tapers more gently down to the stem attachment.

Guess you will have to show some pics in about 6months so we can see how they have developed.

pps. PFT doesn't sell seedling N. Ventrata, but they do N. ventricosa. Not to say the possibility doesn't exist they are mislabelled but odds are not in that favor.

well keep one and buy a a new ventricosa and rafflesiana, then we can see when they get bigger
smile.gif

Neps don't need much water like my other CP's?

I will put blocks under them and raise them above the water level.

The water only looks murky cause it's being looked though 20% tint.
smile.gif
Without the tint, the water is clear.
These pics were taken though 20% tint with my 65 watt Fluorex shining on them.

Only a few Nepenthes come from swampy type conditions. The rest grow in well drained moist-wet 'soil'. Even the ones that are from more swampy type environments don't need that in cultivation.

T

Thanks for all the help.

I'm going to call PetFlyTrap to see if they will send me the raff and my missing 20 plant tags.

Tony,

I got some local supermarket neps cheap, and I assumed they were ventricosa, as they were sold with S. Judith Hindle(labled as Cobra Lily). Anyway, since all these are Agristart plants, I thought it had to be ventricosa, as they do not have ventrata. Then somebody had a pic of a plant with the same tags, and it was a larger hanging one. It was a ventrata.
Just when i thought I was getting the hang of all this...

Cheers,

Joe

Your right, Joe,
Agristarts does not have ventrata in their lists, but DeRoose offers the N. 'alata' (actually ventrata) in a four inch hanging basket. Eventually, they may be discontinued like the coccineas-no more by the end of the year.

Trent

Why would the coccinea get discontined? I better get me one of the speckled kind while they are still around....

Joe

They are only discontinuing the big, grown out plants in the eight inch baskets. They are re-vamping how they want to wholesale the coccinea-probably selling more to the liner market.

Trent

Back