What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. 'red leopard'

With the onset of spring and some longer sunnier days I thought the colour that this plant had developed was quite interesting an worth posting.

I have it at the sunny end of my glasshouse where it currently gets 7 hours of direct sunlight per day.  This was through just the glass and a thin layer of bubble wrap through Winter but the 50% shade cloth went back on a few weeks ago. The colouration is stronger on any part of the plant that is perpendicular to the sun (i.e directly facing).

I really like the rusty/caramel colour.  Hope you enjoy.

NRedLeopardPlant.jpg

NRedLeopardPitcher.jpg

Aaron.

Your doing well, Aaron. You must have the green thumb for Neps. It has grown a bit since we last saw it.

Geoff

Aaron,

That looks great! How long ago did you get it, ie when will mine look like that, lol?

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Geoff.
Great to see you on the forum.

Yes, it certainly has come on some.  However, with that colouration I'd say I can only claim to have a gold-thumb
smile_m_32.gif

Actually, Geoff.... I have been meaning to ask, is it N. vent x max or N. max x vent?

Josh,
I received the plant late January this year.  Surprisingly, given its parentage, it did take quite a long time to settle in (say 3-4 months) and get going.  I'd be guessing it currently throws a new leaf and pitcher every month at least and seems to be accelerating now that Spring is here.

It also does seem to like the higher light.  This may also explain, in part, the slow start as at that time, pre-glasshouse, the setup was much lower on light.

This is not long after I received the plant:

NRedLeopardSmall.jpg

Aaron.

Hi Aaron,

The hybrid is ventricosa x maxima. Good question, though, as it does make a big difference which is the female parent in the hybrid. In our opinion, there is so much difference in a reverse cross of the same parents of a hybrid that it should be named differently. Also, this would be a good way to distinguish the sex of the parents. We have noticed that these differences are not only in the pitcher shape and colour but also in their growing conditions. Keep up the good growing.

Geoff

Very nice! The pitcher color is beutiful and the leaf color is cool:) Judging by the color of the leaf on my emmerane I got from Dave it should be a nice bronze leafed plant:) Oh and btw it rooted like 4 days after I received it!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Of course it was already close to rooting when I got it.

I have the evil twin of this plant, N. maxima x ventricosa. It is very different (but still cool!):

N_maxima_x_ventricosa_11.sized.jpg

Capslock

Caps,

I don't think it's that different , actually. Yours is definitely more mature. Here is the pic from Exotica's home page(hope that is okay Geoff,if not, sorry).

Cheers,

Joe

http://www.exoticaplants.com.au/admin/uploads/redleop.jpg

I think the biggest difference is that I don't get the solid green interior and I have a little narrower waist. It is more like that pic, though, Joe. Anyway, I love this hybrid. It seems to grow great in household conditions, too.

Capslock

Great looking pitchers,a few ants to fill those.

Bye for now Julian

Caps,

You have a better eye for detail than me, lol.
I really need to live somewhere else. It just kills me all you people out there growing neps in windows or on patios, lol.

Cheers,

Joe

Joe,
Yeah, well, I can't grow a tomato here in San Francisco to save my live. Produce in general is tough with all the fog, though I did get a bunch of Jalepeno peppers. Those things grow anywhere, apparently.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (IceDragon @ Oct. 17 2004,4:30)]Here's one from Joel's site. It's not a red leopard but it still looks cool.
It is interesting that the linked page calls the plant N. maxima x ventricosa, but the images have the file name
nmaxXspath2%5B1%5D.jpg
and
nmaxspath%5B1%5D.jpg

I noticed that too Bob.
confused.gif
Doesn't appear to be crossed with spathulata at all at that!

Back