What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

California carnivores

I Stopped by California Carnivores today, and I thought I would share a few pics with you guys. I discussed the origins of my maxima x veitchii with Peter, but it's still a mystery. I think we did rule out Triffid park though.
Got a nice pic of Peter's plant here. He has some very nice cutting's, of this plant, but I could not afford any today.
smile_h_32.gif

peterdeamata.jpg

deamato.jpg

I understand Peter has crossed this plant with a very red Sanguinea. Should be interesting!
truncata.jpg

huuge.jpg

this is Fusca Sarawak upper pitcher

fuscasarawak.jpg

This guy looks familiar ;)
allardii.jpg

n-x--.jpg

nx-.jpg

raff.jpg

And of course I could not leave without something for myself..heheh

somethingforme.jpg

Well hope they were as thereputic for you as they were for me!

Robin
smilie4.gif

Nice pics , Robin. I visited CC once, in 2000, when they were in the old location. The day before, thee was a freak weather occurance of 117 F!!! Everything was a little wilty and they were scrambling around to save highland stuff.
I would love to go out that way again sometime.

Cheers,

Joe

Looks like you chosed the best plant to leave with.

Hey Joe, hope your plant is doing ok.
yeah I liked the old GH, but it was a bit crowded. The new place is huuge! def worth a visit if your in the area. I live within 45 minutes, so I consider myself lucky.
Hi Elgeko, Yeah, I agree with you! Someday I will have a huuge  hamata bush!

Robin  
smile_m_32.gif

Those are all very nice! I would love to go out that way on a vacation some time and go to california carnivores and cooks carnivorous plant nursery.,that would be real cool! You could afford a hamata but not a CUTTING of a ventricosa x lowii?
confused.gif
What did he want for one?

Is it just me or do the pitchers on that hamata look awefully big for a little plant. Maybe its just the angle or something. Nice pics

Joe

If I had such a nurcery nearby I would be happy with loads of plants and sad because I would be broke.
laugh.gif

Awesome piccies!

Joe, I was thinking the same thing...Those hamata pitchers look huge for the plant.

Sweet pics!

Probably under very high light levels. Also, seems to be with rossetted plants (from what I've seen and had) that the leaves are always smaller for a few months. Could be those are older leaves that were under stressful conditions like low humidity or burning light levels.

When the light levels are good, some neps can actually show a 1:1 pitcher- length,leaf- length ratio. You see it on a lot or pics of neps in the wild, even on more mature plants.

Cheers,

Joe

P.B.
The Peter de Amato cutting's were relatively expensive (over 100) but I may get one yet! ;)
Joe, Nep Gracilis, and Griff, are right on. The way I understand it from my own experience, the leaves are for collecting light for photosynthesis. The more light you have, the less leaf you need to get the necessary amount of photosynthesis. You can try this by moving one of your plants very close to your light source. You will get the same effect...at least with hamata.

I dont suggest doing that with all neps though, as some don't appreciate high light levels, and may stop growing all together.

Robin

yeah i just got a sanguenia x tuncata from my brother, should be interesting to see how it turns out

Wow that is rediculously expensive for one of those briggsianas(sp?) isn`t it? Especialy when its just a cutting that may not sprout. And this is a very vigorous hybrid from what I hear. So why does he want so much for it?
confused.gif

It's most likely a well-rooted cutting with pitchers. People call them cuttings even after they are rooted to distinguish them from seed-grown plants.

Caplsock

but how can you tell a healthy tan from a burn?

for example, i have plants with maroon leaves, blood red, pink/orange, and just plain orange. i even have nepenthes with spots.

Thank you for the correction Caps. They were well rooted, and several inches across with nicely developed pitchers several inches long. I was going to take pictures of them for you guys to drool over, but my camera was full.
mad.gif

I think it was a fair price.

Pill, I'm not sure I am qualified to answer that one. But I would say if the leaves start to turn yellow... back off the light a little. Each plant is different. I'm sure Tony would know more about this than I.

Robin
smile.gif

Back