What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi
Here are a few photos of some of the late summer pitchers in my greenhouse:

n.villosa.jpg

N. villosa

n.rajah1.jpg

N. rajah

n.%20spectabilis%20x%20ventricosa1.jpg

N. spectabilis x ventricosa

n.%20veitchii1.jpg

N. veitchii

cheers

bill

Nice pics, Bill. How big is that villosa pitcher?

Cheers,

Stefan

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nepenthes02 @ Oct. 14 2004,2:20)]Nice pics, Bill. How big is that villosa pitcher?

Cheers,

Stefan
Thanks Stefan.
Its still quite small at just over 2 inches tall
smile_m_32.gif

But thats still 4 times bigger than the whole plant 6 years ago.
smile.gif

cheers

bill

Great pictures! Really nice plants you have there. How big across is that rajah?

smile_k_ani_32.gif
 Wow! More great pics! That Villosa is exceptional... What conditions do you grow it in?

Thanks for sharing with us!
Very nice growing Bill.  
Robin

whats the stuff growing around the villosa pitcher? i've seen it before but never knew what it was?

Great stuff there Bill!
I hope my tiny villosa will one day make pitchers that are so interesting to look at!
Your rajah is well on it's way! Is that a 10" diameter aquatic/orchid pot? I swear by those pots man - they're pure genius for highland Neps!

Amateur expert -those are moss spore sacks if I remeber correctly, otherwise they're moss pollen sacs. I need to read my moss book again...
confused.gif

Thanks for your words everyone
smile.gif

Schloaty- The rajah is about 10/11 inches across. It went from 5 inches across to this size in 2 years after I repotted it into this large water lilly container. I just wished I had tried that earlier..
smile_m_32.gif

Robin- I grow my villosa on the floor of my house in more shade. It gets a bit more humidity there as well. Like the rajah growth has jumped ahead since the repot into the wide container.

Amateur_Expert- Guess Swords answered that one
smilie4.gif
And yes Swords those baskets were made for Neps!

cheers

bill

Very nice Bill....Love the Ragah!

Can you give some details of your glasshouse setup in terms of temp and humidity control? Any pics?

Thanks,

Aaron.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (AaronJ @ Oct. 14 2004,6:12)]Very nice Bill....Love the Ragah!

Can you give some details of your glasshouse setup in terms of temp and humidity control?  Any pics?

Thanks,

Aaron.
Hi Aaron
When I first set up my Neps house I had a closed off section which I arranged a misting system for. The rest of the house kept my Sarr & VFTs.
Gradually I realised that the Neps did not need such high humidity and now hardly ever use the misting system. And now my Sarr etc are in a new house my collection of Neps has spread to the rest of the house!.
No heating at all in the spring/summer/autumn. I use a fan heater in the winter to keep the house at 45/50f.

Here is one side of the open part:

greenhouse.jpg

cheers

bill

I got to get my butt moving. I am tired of growing neps in tanks, lol.
Very nice, Bill.

Cheers,

Joe

Very nice bill! I especialy like that ventrablis! So colorful:) That villosa is nice too,and so is the veitchii,but then again the rajah has such a cool peltic insertion...... And your gh is way cool! I hope mine arives soon,its been 3 weeks it should have been here by now??? It came to $450 with all the postage and all too(of course postage and insurance charges are "non refundable") its a 6x8x6 polycarbonate. If it ever gets here I plan on useing a small space heater with a thermostat I got at the big swap where we met up with other byc members for $1 its 1500watts should that be enough to heat to 45*f?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Oct. 15 2004,1:08)]its a 6x8x6 polycarbonate. If it ever gets here I plan on useing a small space heater with a thermostat I got at the big swap where we met up with other byc members for $1 its 1500watts should that be enough to heat to 45*f?
If I calculated correctly and assumed correctly 8mm twin wall polycarbonate.

It will take 10,000 btu to maintain 45degrees f. if the outside temperature is -20. (used that as an estimate on the coldest temperature you might experience in your area)

A 1500 watt heater will give roughly 5000 btu so you would need 2 of them.

Tony

Hi
Just to give an idea of plant size here are my Big 5 together!

big%205.jpg

The rajah top left, followed by the villosa. My new tiny vogelli bottom left, them hamata and just in shot my young macrophylla.
smile.gif

cheers

bill

That's all great stuff! You have some wonderful species there. (Where can I get N. vogelii?)

I also have had great luck with those large mesh baskets, but find that the smaller mesh ones dry out too fast.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Oct. 16 2004,12:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Oct. 15 2004,1:08)]its a 6x8x6 polycarbonate. If it ever gets here I plan on useing a small space heater with a thermostat I got at the big swap where we met up with other byc members for $1 its 1500watts should that be enough to heat to 45*f?
If I calculated correctly and assumed correctly 8mm twin wall polycarbonate.  

It will take 10,000 btu to maintain 45degrees f. if the outside temperature is -20.  (used that as an estimate on the coldest temperature you might experience in your area)

A 1500 watt heater will give roughly 5000 btu so you would need 2 of them.

Tony
Well we don`t go below 0*f.

Hi Bill
Plants look fantastic,a way to go for my Rajah,and Hamata is a must get in the new year.

Bye for now Julian

Back