What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitchers not digesting

This is my first Nepenthes, I've had it growing in the terrarium for about three months, it's made several pitchers, but none of them have produced their own liquid. I was wondering if anyone else has had this probelm and what I might do to put the fight back in my nep.

i was told they dry out?
during shipping..

and that if it isnt humid enough, the pitchers lose water?

i was told to put water in them, about half way..
kind like if it rains?

but i dont know about Nepenthes... i did it for my sarracenia

Yeah I tried to fill them half full with water, but the plant didn't respond at all. The humidity seems plausable but my terrarium is about 87 F during the day and I mist them often to try to keep it humid, no hygrometer yet so I don't know how I'm doing there.

i only fill with water if they are like ampullaria and are desgined to catch rain water, or if i get a new one in the mail with no fluid in it.

don't add water to a pitcher with fluid already in it that isn't desgined to catch rainwater; it will dilute the digestive fluids.

Hey Trainspotting, I think a nep pitcher can be stimulated into producing fluid if it has a vicitim struggling to climb out. Best something active, like an ant.

My pitchers loose their juice if I forget to water the plant, or the humidity drops for an extended period of time. I don't think humidity is the reason for your experience, though, as you have the nep in a terrarium. Could just be for lack of food....I mean, you don't salivate until you see the bakery, do you?
laugh.gif

My N. rafflesiana is about four years old and only recently there has been less fluid in the pitchers. The plant is healthy and growing like crazy though. I am thinking that maybe it has reached an adolescent stage where fuller, heavier pitchers (which used to always droop till they hit the ground) would weigh the plant down so much that it couldn't grow upwards without support (right now it has nothing to support it). Who knows, maybe I will get upper pitchers soon???
smile_k_ani_32.gif
<crosses fingers>

There should be some fluid in the pitcher when it opens, unless as mentioned, there is a problem with low humidity or the plant got too dry. Which I imagine should not be an issue for you. You won't see alot of fluid naturally. Some more than others and it will depend on pitcher size but for example even a big ole 8" N. truncata pitcher may only have an 1" of fluid when it opens. If it is totally dry though I would say there is a problem with moisture and the plant has reabsorbed the fluid for some reason.

Tony

Well, you should check if it's a highland lowland or ultrahighland nepenthes.
Lowlands need very hot and humid conditions with no temp drop

Highlands, can't have their temps in the 90s and many rewuire a drop to the 60s at night. i have found that most of my highlanders de well on my windowsill and pitcher well to (ventrata, ventricosa, alata, maxima, ephipppiata, burbidgeae, sanguinea)
The absence of pitcher fluid can be caused by underwatering, low humidity, or too extreeme temps.
Nepenthes can be overwatered though, never keep them in standing water, no matter what people say. Keep the soil damp, to a bit wet.
Hope that helped.

Oh, i forgot, the pitcher may not have fluid if there is no victim, if that's the case, add some water and a pillbug or an ant. Though one time there was a strange hole in the bottom of a pitcher of mine...

Back