What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glad you guys liked the pictures.

The Northiana was around 35 CM in height...
The temperature and especially humidity were very high. We couldn’t use all photo’s because of (instant) condensation on the camera lens.

Tony: Yeah it looks very good on the photo’s but you have to understand there were loads of ‘lesser’ plants too of course, almost kinda overshadowing the better ones.
smile.gif

Especially the first greenhouse we entered was pretty standard. And the awesome ones like the Northiana and Vogelii were only to be discovered later on in the ‘non-public’ greenhouses. (For studies/experiments, although none at the moment on the Nepenthes)

By the way, which photo’s of the Northiana do you prefer?
With flash or without?
smile.gif

Fantastic indeed.  I see how you might get a different impression selectively photographing selected plants.  

Looks like the nursery containers are just sitting out on the ground on top of gravel?

Personally I like nonflash photos best.  I think it gives a more natural color if there are proper light levels.  Flash I find is more difficult because it can be overbright, alter the color, cause glare etc.  Only thing I consider using flash is when I am trying to diminish shadow if I can't manage it without using the flash.

Tony

Edit: Looking again at the pics I like the ones here with flash. The ones without flash appear to be washed out from the backlighting coming through the greenhouse glazing.

Heh yeah, a flash can make it seem like a totally new picture or even plant, at the cost of realism.
smile.gif
That's why we posted both.

Pretty much all the Neps were standing on gravel yes. About all the pots you see hanging there aren't carnivorous.
They do have automatic misting units in the greenhouses. But they probably manually water the plants...

Yup, and that's going to be a hell of a job.
biggrin.gif
There were hanging baskets all over the place.

I normally also prefer non flash over flash, but imo the northiana looks great on both way's. Like phyrex said, it is almost a whole different plant
biggrin.gif

Thanks you guy's for the nice comments.

I've got another question, guys,
Did they appear to be all growing under the same basic set of conditions, highland and lowland species together?

Trent

Basically yes.

There were several greenhouses so conditions might have been somewhat different from each other but they all felt very hot and humid to me.
smile.gif

Don’t know what the exact conditions at night are. It will no doubt cool but probably not as low as highlanders would like too. Range is lowland to intermediate conditions. My guess is that the extremely high humidity keeps the plants happy even if the temperature isn’t always optimal.

Hey!!

I often go to the Hortus Botanicus in Leiden. It's only 15 mins from here by train. I also have seen the private collection last year. I really liked the N. inermis that they have got.

Cheers,

NePeNtHeSbEsT

Back