What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi there,

I had time to take pictures of my Nepenthes terrarium:

First my flowering Ne. maxima x veitchii (Perhaps it's a maxima x spathulata??? Does anybody know?)

Ne_maxima_veitchii_ganz.jpg

Ne_maxima_veitchii.jpg

Ne_maxima_veitchii_bluete.jpg

A new Ne. rafflesiana pitcher opened:

Ne_rafflesiana.jpg

Does anyone know what fern this is?

farn2.jpg

One of my favourite plants:

Ne_bicalcarata.jpg

'red' form:

Ne_bicalcarata_red.jpg

Finally I got my highlanders:
Ne. hamata:

Ne_hamata_wistuba.jpg

Ne. glabrata:

Ne_glabrata.jpg

and a He. minor (Akopan Tepui, Venezuela):

He_minor_akopan3.jpg

Cheers,
Max

thats a very awesome raff you have there. Do you know which one it is? it looks like a really nice BE-99

I love the Bical too.
Is that pure nectar on it's teeth?

The neps are nice and those other plants look good too, can we see a pic of the overall terrarium environment? It looks like you made a classic terrarium but put some neps here and there, that's awesome, lemme see!
smile.gif

VERYNICE!!!!!
I love the N. Hamata, so cute pitchers!!! (and to think, it will grow up to be a gruesome killing machine ^^ cant wait to see it then)
All the other neps you have are spectacualr aswell!!!
Hellz

Very nice Sir. Nice raff, nice bical, great pics!
smile.gif

Nice, any new echinostoma pics? Also how big is that raff pitcher?

Hi there,

first thanks for your answers!!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do you know which one it is? it looks like a really nice BE-99
No, unfortunately I don't know, I got the plant last year from U. Westphal. Is there any comprehensive gallery of clones?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is that pure nectar on it's teeth?
It's only water. I think there aren't any nectar glands at peristomes but just below the peristome.
Here are some older pics of the terrarium. Soon I'll take some pics, because the plants are much larger now.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Nice, any new echinostoma pics? Also how big is that raff pitcher?
A new pitcher of the plant is developing. I'll take a picture when it has opened. The rafflesiana pitcher has a height of 11cm. By the way it has a bit of the 'winged' version of Ne. rafflesiana, which has little wings on the tendrils.

Have a nice day!
Cheers,
Max

Sweeeeet!

I took some new pictures!
Ne. dubia:

Ne_dubia.jpg

Biophytum sensitivum (kind of a Mimosa species, but slower in motion):

Biophytum_sensitivum_bluete.jpg

Catopsis.jpg

Left side of the terrarium:

terrarium_links.jpg

right side of the terrarium:

terrarium_rechts.jpg

Whole Ne. bicalcarata plant:

Ne_bicalcarata_ganz.jpg

Ne_bicalcarata_paar.jpg

Ne. merrilliana:

Ne_merrilliana.jpg

Ne. distillatoria:

Ne_distillatoria.jpg

Ne. mirabilis var. echinostoma:

Ne_echinostoma.jpg

Cheers,
Max

wow man your terrarium is amazing. Great landscaping, its cool how you mixed alot of other plants with CP's. What are the dimensions? could you list all the plants in there? (CP and non CP?) What kind of lights do you use?

Thanks for your answer!

The plants are: (carnivorous)

Ne. bicalcarata
Ne. distillatoria
Ne. merrilliana
Ne. mirabilis var. echinostoma
Ne. rafflesiana

Ne. alata x ventricosa
Ne. fusca x veitchii
Ne. maxima x veitchii

Ut. sandersonii

(non carnivorous)
Biophytum sensitivum
Dschidia maior
Ficus pumila
Mimosa pudica
some orchids
unidentified fern

For illumination I use 3x54W ATI T5 inflorescent tubes. This illumination comes from the aquaristic and is usually used for tropical corals. At the beginning some people of the G.F.P. forum were very sceptical because of the illuminated surface (120cm*60cm) and only 162W. But I can say the light has a very good spectrum and is very good for carnivorous plants (the colours of the plants!).

Cheers,
Max

hella cool! whats the width of your terrarium (front-back) in inches?

what is the kelvin of those lights? i've been wanting to use VHO tubes used for corals for awhile because they are easy to find. i've been running NO tubes on an NO balast, but i'd like to use VHO for corals if i can.

what temps and humidity do you keep the terrarium at, and does the little mimosa stay in rosette form? do you know where i can get seeds?

I'm sure you could look for the different clone propensities on google or something but typically BE-99 has a mottled red to all red pitcher, thats why I asked because it looks alot like BE99 and I wanted to geta bE-99 soon and if they look that nice I'm definatly geting one oing on

Wonderful pictures! That bical has some very nice coloring.:O

Hmm his raff looks like mine, which is just a regular I think... I'll post a pic of it when it opens... Tho my surefire tip to knowing if it's a giant is let it grow for a little longer and when the pitcher breaks the 10 inch mark. BANG! there you go you got it identified.

Hi there,

THX for your answers!

The size of the terrarium is: 120cm*60cm*60cm.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]does the little mimosa stay in rosette form? do you know where i can get seeds?
Yes, it grows up to a heigth of about 10cm. I don't know where you can get seeds, I got 2 plants from U. Westphal over here in Germany. But the correct name is Biophytum sensitivum, perhaps you'll have luck with google.

The kelvin of the ATI T5 inflorescent tubes 'sun' is 6000. I don't know what d you mean with VHO tubes. Never heard of it.

The temperature is about 32°C at day and 23-25°C at night. Humidity is constant at 70% at day and 80-95% at night.

Thanks again for your answers.
Cheers,
Max

Looks like a very nice colored normal N. raff. to me. The BE99 clone is a giant type and nearly bright solid red with a green peristome. Should be some pics on BE's website.

VHO aquarium tubes should work well. Max the VHO stands for very high output. They run at nearly 3x the normal wattage so a 4' normal tube is 40watts while a 4' vho tube is 110watts. Lumen output is equally increased. Unfortunately you need a special ballast which are kind of pricey and the bulbs are also not cheap compared to regular fixtures/bulbs. On the plus side you make up for it somewhat by needing less tubes. And you can also get much brighter light on the plants from a further distance for tall applications.

Tony

Back