What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes muluensis x lowii

anyone have one of these? are they difficult? any pics?

Rattler

I bet you have your eyes on the Ebay auction!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

It looks alot like the Predator where the lid has hairs on it.
Be looking for me on the bid! (pham22)

lol how did yah guess? looks like a cool lil plant. not sure how fast i want to get into highlanders though. i have a female veitchii highland striped peristrome cutting thats 2 feet tall or so, and a small bongso from Tony. dont know how well my fiance' would take me getting another though. need to find some one with a tall and leggy hamata who is willing to part with a cutting for less than what the plants are going for. good luck still havent decided if im even going to bid. if its me it will be wolfpointherald

Rattler

Just took a look, that's the bigggest one I've seen! Has hairs on the lid which is darned odd... Hmm. Will have to check the records, perhaps it's N. murudensis x lowii???

I think the hairs are just from a young phase that some Neps. produce.

N. muluensis has hairs on the top. I don't recall if N. lowii seedlings do.
Looking at my picture of N. murudensis I don't see projections off the top even as a small seedling.

T

Tony, yes, it could well be the juvenile hairs. I'm not quite sure where Dean got that plant from but if it was from me I've checked our records and it would have come from seed of N. muluensis and definitely not N. murudensis. I remember Diana complaining how hard the climb up Gng. Mulu was! I've never let her live down that the seed was a hybrid although I must say the coloration is a pleasant surprise. Anyone bought that plant yet?

Rob, I have a consignment from my last order. As they're only small, it's impossible to tell any features on them yet, they just look like most young Neps.

Lowii seedlings, as far as I know, don't have hair ON the lid, and the hairs under the lid don't appear for a little while.

Rattler, as far as how hard it is to grow, it is the same as lowii in conditions, although faster growing than lowii. I've found muluensis to be a surprisingly fast growing plant, which is contrary to the experience of other growers. However, if your experience in highlanders is only veitchii and bongso, then it will be more difficult than both. The "highland" veitchii species are really intermediates, and bongso is an easy species which tolerates warm weather.

Hi all:

I remember seeing a picture of N. murudensis from Neps around the house where he mentioned the fact that one of his murudensis plants has hairs on top of the lids; thus, doubting its origins since true murudensis does not have hairs on top of the lids. (this is on mature pitchers, not juveniles)

Could it be a tentaculata hybrid?

Gus

Joel states on his page that the vendor had doubts about its origins, that there was suspicion it was tentaculata. It certainly looks like tentaculata, and not like murudensis. Tentaculata is found both on Murud and Mulu. I would put money on it being plain tentaculata, but when it starts to produce uppers is should be evident what it actually is.

Where are pics of this plant?

Back