What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. inermis

Rob,

If you are still reading this thread, how many N. rajah clones do you have? I was in a chat room last night(along with Jeremiah) and somebody said there was only four in cultivation. There maybe only four true clipeata clones in cultivation, but I was pretty sure there are more clones of rajah than that.

Cheers,

Joe

I know there are several growers in Australia, Germany and Japan with rajah grown from seed that was collected in the eighties, so there is definitely more than four clones in cultivation.

We have the same 4 clones of N. rajah that everyone else has. They came from a German lab but were derived from the 4 clones that Kew gardens (sensibly IMO) gave out in the 1980's and which was then widely distributed.

Unlike N. clipeata, N. rajah seed is very easy to collect if you know where to look, so there may be more clones around in sterile culture although their legality may be suspect since Sabah Parks are not noted for their willingness to give out collection permits, even for seeds.

No doubt there are many plants in collections that are not from the 4 clones in sterile culture, especially some of the older plants that have been in botanic gardens and private collections for decades.

There are 5 rajah clones in cultivation that are available to the public. The others are just grown for independant use.

I think that Inermis is more tolerant of humidity and of temps than Hamata and Lowii. Though it is much, much smaller than both.

Back