What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions on 2 neps........

i recently purchased 2 new nepenthes, Darlas threatening to strangle me but oh well, Nepenthes macfarlanei and sibuyanensis. the Mac comes from similar elevations as bongso so should i expect their care to be similar? dont see a altitude for sibuyanensis. i figure going into winter it will be easy to cool a tank down for them. during the night i can put the tank behind the curtain for our sliding glass door. should cool things down quite effectivly at night. any specific tips for these species?

Rattler

They are both highland plants which are tolerant of intermediate conditions. Both can be tricky to get to pitcher, as they are less tolerant of lower humidity than other species. Once they get established (which can take quite a while sometimes), they are easy growers.

Hamish

thanks Hamish, just checked out your website, very nicly done.

Rattler

Rattler, thanks - it's still a work in progress, and needs a major overhaul. I will be redoing many of the photos and adding new pages when I get hold of a decent camera. I only have access to my company camera, which is an old cheapy, and it can't do close-ups or focus on small objects. I tried doing a heap of photos a few weeks ago, and they were all blurry. When I have some cash, I will buy a decent one (I lost my wonderful SLR film camera a year ago). Anyway, hopefully by the end of the year I will have redone it.

hmmmm only one persons opinion? wow. i would like you to know i did do basic research but was looking for some personal opinions on growing them. hence the fact i had already compared the altitudes of the mac and bongso. or did Hamish nail them perfectly? i realize sibuyanensis is fairly new but from what ive seen prices are low enough and pitchers are impressive enough that more ppl should have them. ok did i ge anyone riled up enough to chime in??
smile_n_32.gif

I have been growing Nepenthes macfarlanei for almost two years now. It grows in my highland chamber with the rest of my highland collection. What a fantastic plant! Mine has been a pretty easy plant to grow. I don't have any specific tips, but if you give it the proper highland conditions, you shouldn't have any difficulty.

thanks Jeremy, BTW our editor here at the newspaper attended WSC

Rattler

From what I hear sibuyaensis is very hard to pitcher unless it has high humidity and the young pitcher "hook" is shaded.

well they showed up today. cute lil things with leaves about an inch long and 3/4 inch tendrils. the mac has a fully formed pitcher but the sib just has lil swellings.

Rattler

Lol. It`s so exciting to get new Neps! I love that feeling of excitment:) I hope your plants do well for you....

Yes, good luck with them. You should be able to grow them alongside each other. You may find the N. sibuyanensis pitchers latently from about the 5th leaf down. It can have looooong stiff tendrils which sometimes burrow through potting media before popping up somewhere else. It's a fun rewarding species!

I discovered that the sibuyanensis would not pitcher either. After some researching on the net, the fact that the pitchers require a much shadier condition pointed me in the right direction. So I placed other nepenthes pots around the sibuyanensis and after a couple of months each leaf sent their tendril in between the surrounding pots and pitchered.

I have a Macfarlanei of my own. So here is how i take care of it. It stays on my windowsill, and it doesn't need any nocturnal cooling. I keep it in a small tray with rocks at the bottom so it isn't in standing water, then, i put that in a larger tray with overly waterlogged sphagnum. This gives it some good humidity. I still mist it morning and night though. Along with my other Neps. They are: Alata, Ventricosa, Ventrata, Maxima, Burbidgeae, Ephippiata, Sanguinea. Then there is my Macfaranei. And a cutting of an offshoot from my ventrata. And soon to be a Nepenthes Macrophylla! I will give that thing a throne once it arrives. Well, okay, a cardboard box, with a plastic tablecloth and the same rock and sphagnum setup as my Macfarlanei. (all my neps have that)

Back