What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ventrata cold damage

Hi
Considering the "bomb proof" nature of N. ventrata I am surprised at its tenderness to suffer cold damage even at fairly mild temperatures! Is the alata part of the cross likely to be lowland rather than highland form?

My solitarily plant last winter suffered quite a bit of soft brown patches on its leaves which also resulted in distorted growth. This cleared up once I brought it indoors from my Highland Neps house. During the summer its been back in the greenhouse and fine. Now we are getting 10c nights (not that cold!) And the brown patches are back! And a few extra plants I was given this year are also developing it as well. It always strikes me as odd how "easy" plants seem to have problems which "harder" species don't! Which leads me to feel that ventrata is more lowland rather highland or intermediate?

Its too big for the kitchen this year so will have to struggle through this winter..
smile_t_32.gif

cheers

bill

Well, at least you did not leave it outside and get a surprise snowfall overnight(I did this witha ventrata a couple of years ago). Dead, dead, dead.

Beers, er I mean Cheers,

Joe

I had more trouble with my x Ventrata than with my fusca, khasiana, maxima, rafflesiana, sanguinea, or ventricosa. It grew like a weed at all times, but only pitchered when temperatures warmed considerably. So I traded it to Mississippi, where it can be happy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Oct. 26 2004,7:45)]I had more trouble with my x Ventrata than with my fusca, khasiana, maxima, rafflesiana, sanguinea, or ventricosa.  It grew like a weed at all times, but only pitchered when temperatures warmed considerably.  So I traded it to Mississippi, where it can be happy.
Sounds as if its not so uncommon them
smile_l_32.gif

cheers

bill

Back