What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reallly red coccinea

<span style='color:purple'>Hi everyone!

I know I asked about this before, but please bear with me some more.  I asked about red/orange marks on the leaves of my N.Coccinea and was told it was probably sunburns.

It's been a while now, enough time for me to observe it and undrestand how it "works".  My conclusions : the orange "stains" on the leaves, where the texture is rougher, are burn marks, the deep red coloration the leaves get when they are close to my fluorescent lights seem to be it's natural pigmentation.  Either that or it's constantly embarrased...
I say it's because I use much weaker lighting than it was receiving at it's nursery.

All the upper leaves are getting this rich deep red coloration gradually after they are formed, it's truly breathtaking.  I heard this is a trait some Coccinea gain from their parent (was it Maxima?) sometimes...

And it's first pitcher is finally opening now =).  It's slowly growing another too.  When I bought the plant (the 25th sept 2004) it had none...  So I guess this means it likes it's new home right?  =D

I know I know, I'll ask a friend to lend me her digital camera so I'll give you experts some pics.

smile.gif
</span>

What are your night temperatures? N. Coccinea will produce reddish new leaves when the light is bright but night temperatures are a little on the cool side. General, this results in a toughened plant, but the pitcher size might be reduced. If your night temperatures are consistently below 55 degrees F., you might give it a bit more warmth.
There is no N. maxima in the background of N. Coccinea. It is (mirabilis x hookeriana).
Hope this is helpful.

Trent

Not really, it's warmer in that terrarium than it is in my room! About 80F during the day and 70F at night. Can my plant really be thinking it's cool?

The plant does not produce reddish leaves, they start green but get redder with light, the proces takes about 10 days, and a bit more to be completely red.

Right right, a mix of rafflesiana, ampularia and mirabilis... sorry my mistake. Then where does the red coloration comes from? Mirabilis?

Thanks Trent =), for your quick reply.

Your temps are right in line. A local nursery here in south Florida has a huge coccinea they grow overhanging a sheltered fishpond. One night the temps dipped down to the upper forties even in this sheltered spot, and the coccinea picked up that reddish cast to the leaves. We see this in our greenhouse when days are warm and sunny and nights are cool. I've always connected that reddish leaf look to bright light with warm days and cool nights.
It seems to be a mirabilis trait, but have observed the same phenomenon with alata, eustachia, and a few others.

Trent

Back