What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to nepenthes

Hell-o everyone...

I have a couple pix of a nepenthes my wife gave me a couple weeks ago and have been trying to ID it.  I believe it's a hybrid, but would like to know from you experts, so I grow it correctly.  

Right now it's the same pot from the nursery.  I have it hanging above my bathtub (with an 1" of water for humidity), directly below a skylight (plenty of sun).  I've fed it 6 or 7 insects.  It has 13 pitchers.

I would like to post a picture on this site for help but I don't know how!  Can someone explain how to post a picture, please?

Thanks for your help!
Steve

You need to first upload it to a website. Then you copy the address of the photo. In the above right there is a button called image paste your pics address in there and you are set.

Welcome to the forum.

Did you get my last email Steve?

If you haven't yet, check out the ID this Plant forum and have a look at some of the other threads on Nepenthes ID as well. Most garden center Nepenthes come from a big nursery in Europe or from a few producers here in the states so the potential possibilities are fairly limited. Odds are you will find someone posting a picture of your plant and asking for an id also.
Tony

Tony - I sent you a picture through email on 10/22. Can you upload it for me?? I don't have a website to upload them to!

Based on my research to date, I think it's one of the following:
N. Miranda
N. Alata
N. X Ventrata, or
N. X Ventricosa.

Also, I got a response from a guy in Germany who said it was likely N X Mixta.

Appreciate your help.....
Steve

I will load it up for a few days. PFT also maintains some space for members to host pictures.. maybe the gang here can tell you how to do that as I don't use it myself.

Here is the picture:
Plntzz%20002.jpg

oh btw.. deffinately not N. ventrata, ventricosa or alata.

Since it's from a garden center it's probably a young N. Miranda

Hey,

It's definitely a N. x Miranda.
I see the same pitcher style as the one that I have.

Cheers,

NePeNtHeSbEsT

To post pics, goto home.petflytrap.com and register and you can upload pics to the server.

where did ur wiffe get the miranda? ive been looking 4 one, how much ?

WELCOME TO THE FORUMSOhiogrower!

Hey everybody - Thanks for all the help. I put my plant outdoors yesterday to take advantage of full direct sun and watched a wasp crawl into one of the pitchers!!

My wife got it at Frank's nursery here in Cincinnati. I've been there to ask them about the ID but they didn't know anything. They have several more at around $25.00. I've also visited a couple other nurseries in the area that have them around that same price. I've seen them available on the web, too.

Bye...............

Petflytrap carried them at one point if you can't find one locally. Not sure if they have any but you could email or call Phil

Steve,
I see you used the link I sent you to forums.
Welcome.

yea, tony, ask phil about miranda's if not ill find som at BACPS or other sites
confused.gif

How much would a x. miranda putting out 8 inch pitchers be worth?

I think your right, it is a Miranda, i'm not too experienced with those though.
As a rule, most garden centers sell Ventratas or alataXventratas, just so you know...

Realy? I didn`t even know there where ventrata x alata(Although I know someone who has ventrata x ventricosa),I doubt a GC would have those.

Back