What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Information about n.dubia

Hey,

Lately I have found out that my N. dubia is loosing leaves(They first become black).
But the plant itself is still growing.

I cultivate N. dubia under a 800 W lamp. The photoperiod is about 10-12 hours. The daytime temperature is about 25 C(70-80F), and the night temp. around 15-20 C(55-65F).
The humidity level never goes below 70 %.

So could you please tell me what's going on?

Thank you,

Cheers,

Anthony

Conditions sound fine.. Maybe a picture would help as I can't really say if it's acting normal or abnormal based on your description.

Nepenthes grow up and out, the lower leaves die out and the stem becomes black and woody, this is totally normal. As my N.
confused.gif
(Dunno what it is, but it's a lowland hybrid) anyway. The plant is about three feet tall, one and a half of said feet is brown woody stem.

True, but I don't think he has three feet of dubia vine.....A pic would probably be in order.

Cheers,

Joe

LOL I wish I had a 3 feet tall N. dubia.
smile_n_32.gif

Here is a link to the pictures : My pics

When you click N. dubia you will see a perfect growing top(hope that it stays like that),but when you look carefully you will see a black leave(I have already cut 2 other ones). I hope this is normal.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Anthony

Your briefcase is empty, no pics at your link man!

Anyway, how quickly are you loosing leaves? Are more blackening each day?

As long as your plant is keeping up a number of new growth on top these old leaf losses may simply be leaves which were not able to acclimate to their new home. Old leaves will die off faster if they were made in a different climate than where the plant is growing now. The shift in climates causes them to decline faster than normal. I've noticed with my newly arrived neps that I might loose several of the old leaves (made while the plant was at the TC lab/greenhouse) rather soon after arriving but the new growth comes on quickly and the old leaves are simply being replaced with leaf material more suited to grow in it's new home. So if that's the case there's absolutely nothing to be concerned about, and nothing you can do either, those leaves were past their prime in their ability to adapt to climate change and new growth will be nicer for you anyway. Just keep an eye on everything but chances are if there are no other signs of bad stuff happening it's probably just normal leaf replacement.

My N. dubia is very slow, in a couple weeks I'll have had it for a year and it only went from 1.5 -2 cm to 5 cm! geez!
smile_n_32.gif

OK thanks Swords for the information.
smile_m_32.gif

The yahoo briefcase isn't allowing public sharing, so maybe that's why you can't see the pics.

Bye,

Anthony

I haven't really noticed that old leaves decline faster.
smile.gif
But the pitchers do...
smile_h_32.gif

Back