What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

? question ?

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
Hey there,
If a plant stops pitchering while continuing to produce leaves then start pitchering again. Will the pitcher pick up where it left off or will it start where it would be if it had not stopped?

Ex. Last pitcher is 1/2" and then 6 leaves go by with no pitchers. Now a pitcher is forming after 6 leaves. Where in the size cycle will this new pitcher be?
Or does it depend on the individual plant?

Joe

hmm good question. IF the plant has continued to grow larger and stronger the next pitcher produced, if it skipped a few, should be noticeable larger and more mature. There are other things to consider though also. The plant is in a state of going from seedling to mature plant and not a mature plant already. And environmental conditions are much improved when the plant starts to pitcher again. If they are still marginal for pitcher development, the plant may not exhibit the pitcher it could produce in more optimal conditions. Giving it the appearance that it hasn't 'improved' much over the last pitcher produced. Some of it will of course also depend on the plant as you mention. Some are quicker to mature than others and can make noticeable difference between each new pitcher even on consecutive leaves.

Tony

how long does it take for pitchers to normally come out?
cause mine only has one, and i think that will start dying soon.. so how will my plant feed if it doesnt have anymore pitchers? when will the next one show up?

i rescued it from home depot and it had three pitchers.. one was already dying, and the second died about 1 week later.
the pitcher left is in great shape, so how long will it last and whens the next one?
i dont want to plant to starve

It's not uncommon for a new plant to lose some pitchers as it adjusts to it's new home.

How long before it makes more depends alot on the plant and the environment. Usually by the time the plant makes it 2nd or 3rd leaf in your care it should be adjusted and start forming a pitcher on the new leaf. On average a very general timeframe would be a couple months. Meanwhile the plant will not starve. The plant can actually go a long time without catching food. Growth will be much stronger though if feed regularly.

Tony

Hey Tony,
The plant is a N. 'Judith Finn'. It is the plant that I mounted to wood. It had continued to produce larger and larger leaves while adjusting now about 3 mos after initial mounting, it has tendrils swelling. It had previously been outside and now is in the terrarium under lights and humidity. It had skipped probably 6-10 leaves. with no attempt to swell them. Now the tendrils are swelling rapidly and leaves are turning red/pink and much larger.

Thanks
Joe

When are you going to post pics of this Joe? We`re all interested you know(I think....well atleast I am):)

Im my experience with that situation. (one plant's worth, for two leaves, when it was almost mature) I can tell you that the new pitcher would be the same size it would be if it had been pitchering for the past few leaves. Though i have found, mainly with Ventricosa, that sometimes, if the plant is transplanted/transported, then the next pitcher will be considerably smaller. That has happened with three of my Ventricosas and one Sanguinea, so don't say i'm lying. So, the next pitcher may be smaller than it should be, but it will catch up.

Hope i was able to help!

Dave

Back