What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes size

I checked the Savage Garden and you are correct on what it says.  The book is a great book and Peter sure does know alot.  And no offense to Peter but the book is not 100% absolutely correct on everything in it.  There are other books and other equally knowledgeable people.  It is always best to formulate your knowledge from more than one source when possible. And equally important to realize that if your knowledge is coming from a single source that there is the possibility it may be flawed.

Tony

Tony,

Do you stock 'Savage Garden'?  I would like a copy, I've heard good things about it.  Of course, in a field such as this  any book is out of date in some respects as soon as it's published, but that is part of the fun of the hobby IMO

Very true Rob. There is certainly alot of new information coming to light on a regular basis. Nepenthes are just a tip of the iceberg.

I will pick up a copy of Peter's book and send it over.
Tony

Well, i'd assume Peter knows a lot, since he's had California Carnivores running since 1989. But, now that i think of it, i didn't see an adult Eymae there, or even a young eymae. Except a few seedlings. I have to say most of the info is pretty good.

Btw. I have plenty of places that i get my info from. It's just that only a few talk about the size of the plants. They really only mention it if it gets to some amazing gigantious size.

Oh, Tony, you are right. In trying to get as many sources as possible, i e-mailed Peter with the same question i asked you, you know, how fast does Macrophylla grow? His reply was: Grow one for a year and be sure to tell me. So your right, he doesn't know everything. He was right about almost all of the other things that he told me though.

He did have an interesting reply when i asked him how fast Villosa and Rajah grow, it was : Suicidally slow. I think i still have the e-mail if you want proof of that. (no guarantees, i may have emptied my trash can, i forget.).

Nice "talking" to all of you
biggrin.gif

Dave

Hello

Just for reference here is a photo of an upper pitcher from Peter's collection.
70.jpg

N. campanulata seem to stay small I have one that has bloomed 3 times for me that is no more then 6" across.

N. glabrata pitchers don't get that large but the plant can vine for many feet.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

Thanks for that Jeremiah. Such contrasting upper and lower pitchers on that species, a bit like N. copelandii.

Really funny discussion about who knows the most.
smile.gif

BTW nice pic, Jeremiah.
How long does it take an eymae produce uppers?

I don't know. Btw, how big is that pitcher, it it was about 3-4 inches, then i'd be right in at least one way.
smile_m_32.gif

Back