What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dummies anonymous

I pulled a great bonehead trick this weekend, and for some reason felt like sharing.
My N. truncata red(nice little plant from Tony, btw) was upstairs and it started to rain...Thursday, I think. I put it outside, since it was kind of dry, just to get some of that rain. If you ever look at truncata, their leaves seem very good for funneling water towards the stem of the plant(at least for the smaller plants). The Philippine climate can be harsh at times and get rather dry from articles I have read.
Anyway I went out last night to call the dog in, and there it was still sitting. It was looking very, very dark green, as we have had FROST every morning here for the last week. I had forgot to grab it.
Most of us hide these little boo-boos, but I thought it would be fun to see if a thread would come out of this.

Cheers,

Joe

He's dead, Joe

I feel your pain. My hamata and campanulata are both dead, one a victim of stupidity, the other a victim of raw negligence (and just as it was blooming, too). Nepenthes are no longer my loss free CP genus.

I have not killed a Nep to this day (except of cuttings) but my problem is letting the pots get bone dry because the leaves hide the soil and it's kind of hard to see them in a terrainium packed full of plants. I was close to killing some!

I'll see your bonehead move and raise ya one: I put nearly all of my plants outside for the most of spring and all of summer. That included a lot of delicate Drosera seedlings. Well, I didn't think about the little pots of seedlings being lower than the "tray" they were in. We had a deluge and several of those seedlings were flooded, floated, and swept away. I also had three containers of pigmy dews capsize. Live and learn!
smile_h_32.gif
mad.gif

When I came to Atl for my interview I put all my Neps in my "office" room in my apartment. There was some weird electrical issue that fried the surge protector that ran the fan in the room. My Min/Max recorded a high of 120F. I was gone a week total and when I got back my N. khasiana, alata and maxima were crisped with media that was a solid brick. Somehow the khasiana survived this orderal and now stands 4' tall and is happy as a clam outside here.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter @ Nov. 15 2004,1:16)]I have not killed a Nep to this day (except of cuttings) but my problem is letting the pots get bone dry because the leaves hide the soil and it's kind of hard to see them in a terrainium packed full of plants. I was close to killing some!
Peter, I do the same thing with my neps. I water them and then check them every couple of days. Or I intend to. "They should be OK. I just watered them the other day..." Then I notice the leaves aren't looking to good and the new pitchers are dying. I think I'll stick with vetricosas until I get better at watering. At least I haven't killed any neps..............yet.

Biggest problem for me is either temperature in the winter (if power goes out, it will get real cold really fast!) and water since a few pots aren't under the misters....and the misters don't do a good job of watering unless they are set to run for a good few minutes to throughly saturate the media.

Hehe, Khasiana is a truper. If one nepenthes can survive prolonged drought, and just about anything else, it's khasiana. Unfortunately, it cant survive 6 months of it... as mine and a whole collection did. Yeesh, it was like a great tribulation/armegedon. But it sure wasn't my fault... .... oh sweet painful memmories
confused.gif

Lol, i started to crack up when i read that! What happened?

Anyway, my Nepenthes collection is loss-free. Except for that cutting... oh well i kinda messed up anyway. So far, my biggest problem is a cape sundew, i dunno what the heck happend to it, but it just shiveled up literally overnight.

Guess that's why i grow about 15 types of Neps, and about 7 types of anything else.

smile_h_32.gif

Your not supposed to depress me with the variety of ways you manage to kill the Nepenthes I send you!!! Just a polite 'yes it's doing great! btw I need to buy another .. you know for a friend yeah that's the ticket.'

T

confused.gif
well, I was repotting my ventrata today and caught a whiff of chlorophyll (spelled torn leaf...) while adjusting the pitchers. Checked the leaves but didn't see any tear...until I placed the pot back onto the rack and saw the first and only basal shoot broken. arrggghhh...

Um, did I say I got that plant from Tony?
I see how you get replacements w/o admitting you are a cold-blooded killer. I will have to remember that.

Cheers,

Joe

I think I take way too much care of my Neps because I haven't managed to kill any so far except the harder cuttings (heck, even a haphazardly hacked N. sibuyanensis top rooted in cruddy LFS! They're very easy to root, so I've discovered). I am however absolutely terrible with Sarracenia and VFTs...

Amori

shokuchuu, we are opposites! I am MUCH better at growing Sarracenia's and Dionaeas, and not as good when growing tropical species such as Neps, Heli's, ect...
smile_n_32.gif

i cant grow a VFT to save my life. havent tried ceph's yet. only tried heli's once and failed. Utrics, Genlisea, Drosera, Sarrs, Pings and Nepenthes have posed no real problems yet. killed one or two here and there but i generally know exactly why they died off. except for the darn VFT's im on failure number 3 and dont feel like killing any more of them.
confused.gif

oh yeah one night i put my hamata on our UPPER LEVEL deck, cause i thought the cool colorado night would help it, i hadnt checked weatherbug, but we had 25 mph gusts that night! fell off the entire thing all pitchers gone, but fortunately it has recovered nicely, and none of the soil fell out

I'm notorious for killing Heliamphora! Ask Tony! I'm his best Heli customer!
smile_n_32.gif

I pity that poor Truncata...

If it helps, Tony, the Four Alatas and the Macrophylla you sent me seem to be making the transition well.
I hope they stay that way.
smile_m_32.gif

I haven't tried Helis yet. Haven't tried Bladderworts either.
Sarracenias are ok with me, as are Cobra Lilys and VFTs. Butterworts ok.
I somehow managed to kill a D. Capensis...

Hey Tony, send me a plant... i promise not to kill it.
smile_m_32.gif

Back