What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hamata and lowii

Hi all,
I'm thinking of getting both a Hamata and a Lowii. I know basically what they need temperature wise, but what should i do about humidity? I can keep the humidity fairly high by misting about 6-7 times per day, and i keep some cups around my other Neps that are filled with waterlogged LFS. Will this humidity be high enough? It works well for all my other Neps.

Thanks in advance
Dave

What are the other Neps that  are growing and pitchering in the setup you are describing? There is a huge difference in temperment between maxima, alata, ventricosa, Ventrata and hamata. The reason N. hamata, lowii, macrophylla and those other grail species are dfficult is because you need to provide them quality CONSISTENT conditions in order to grow, flower and thrive. Many other species are easier to bend to a lazy humans will and still perform quite adequately.
For my highland chamber I have everything automated with lighting timers, humidistats, fans, air conditioner when my local nights are above 55*F and days above 80*F. Providing such a setup will ensure you are able to provide what these  finikier species need. It's a luxury for some of the easier species I grow but I doubt 100% that I would be able to grow the species I am without a proper setup.
Here is the stats on my highland chamber year round figures (winter-summer):
Lighting: 400W power compacts & flourescents

Day Temps: 65-80*F

Night Temps: 40 - 55*F

Humidity: 80+%
The humidistat runs the humidifier about 1/2 an hour every hour but only intermittently, 5 minutes here, 7 there... to maintain a steady high RH. Much of the time the chamber is filled with ultrasonic fog from the humidifier.

Air flow: the chamber always has fresh air blowing in through the humidifier duct either from outside the house (nighttime) or in the room (daytime/winter) so the plants always have access to fresh gently moving air.

Theres a bit more info at my site: http://www.nepenthesgarden.com/cultbasics.htm

My advice is get your dedicated highland nepenthes chamber setup and then get plants, they'll always be available.

The Nepenthes i currently have growing on my windowsill are: Ventrata, Alata, Ventricosa, Burgidgeae, Sanguinea, Macfarlanei, Ephippiata, and a Macrophylla. The macrophylla is very new, but i haven't experienced any negative effects, and everyone i asked said it was easy to grow and very forgiving. My temps go drop down to 60- at night, and i just got a hygrometer which says that the humidity never goes below 65%.

BTW.

I am going to get another greenhouse very soon for highland Nepenthes. This will be a warmhouse with temps in the 75-85 range in the day and 50s at night. And i have this puny little humidifier for my stovehouse right now, but it seems that i need TWO per greenhouse. Which i will be sure to buy.

I will buy the greenhouse sometime this week, so i guess i am asking if they can survive in those conditions until then. I'm gonna go to C.A. carnivores tomorrow and get one of each if i think they can survive until i get the greenhouse.

Hi all;

Although Lowii is an ultrahighland, in my experience, it is also very forgiving when it comes to temperature drops at night. I find it very much easier to grow than many other ultra highlanders.

Gus

I'm not sure I would classify N. lowii as an ultrahighland
species, for the lower end of its observed altitudinal distribution
is 1800 m. Typically, species with altitudinal distributions
exclusively above 2000 m (or even 2200 m, perhaps) are
considered ultrahighland.

Moreover, based upon many years experience growing this
species, I must say that it is really quite easy. If one can
provide daytime temperatures between 25 and 30 C, and
nighttime lows between 10 and 15 C, one should be able to
cultivate this species quite successfully. It is simply a rather
slow grower when small; hence the common epithet "N.
slowii
".

I think that you will also find N. hamata to be similarly
straightforward, although it may be a bit more sensitive regard-
ing humidity. However, if your humidity is insufficient it will be
readily apparent, for you will see limited pitchering, if any. both
plants will still grow however, and in that case, you can then
implement measures to increase your humidity.

In any event, good growing!

Thanks Neps. Guess what, i went to OSH today since my mom was getting who knows what, and i was a greenhouse that was 6' by 8' for 119 dollars. It was such a good deal that i bought it. Then i somehow pursueded my mom to buy me a heater and a humidifier for it. I think i'm all set. I'm just going to let it run for a few days until i get the hang of keeping everything right. Better to do it when the lives of my Neps are not at stake.
smile_m_32.gif

Though it is still good that they could survive on my windowsill if something goes wrong with it.

Neps:

Lowii grows between 1800-2600 mt, hence an ultrahighland

Gus

Anything that grows as high as a clearly defined ultrahighlander, i consider an ultrahighlander. I think Muluensis and Murudensis are classified as ultrahighlanders in that case, but i'm not sure of that yet. But that definitely means that Lowii is an ultrahighlander. Wait a minute, doesn't Maxima grow up to 2700m in some areas?

As an addon to my previous statement, since Rajah grows down to 1800 m, that should not be the only basis for consideration as an ultrahighlander. If the TOP alutidual range is about the same as a classified ultrahighlander, then i think it should be considered an ultrahighlander.

It depends on whether you define an ultrahighlander as a plant found exclusively above a certain altitude, or requiring certain temperature requirements. I would agree with Jeff that 2000/2,200m+ is a more significant differentiator, as lowii and rajah grow well in plain highland conditions, whereas villosa and lamii for example, will not. The lower altitudinal range of a species is defininately more indicate of cultural requirements than the upper with highland species.

As for hamata, I wouldn't even put it in the same group, it grows happily as an intermediate.

Howdy, I am new at the forums and i wanted to learn how to grow N. hamata and Lowii.

One thing i don't understand: what is a ultrahighlander?

John

There is no definition. In scientific circles they refer to "montane" species, ultrahighland is an often bandied about term used by Nepenthes growers.

Basically it refers to a very small group of Nepenthes from very high altitudes that require cool days and cold nights to survive.

Basically,
Lowland: Hot
Intermediate: very warm
Highland: warm
Ultrahighland: cool
Note that these are rough estimates of the groups, and several Nepenthes grow happily in other types of conditions.

Anyway, i have been doing reasearch.
Hamata: 60s at night, 70s-80s during the day. Very high humidity.
Lowii: 70s-80s at night, 50s-60s during the day. High humidity is much appreciated, but can tolerate a bit less.

As you can see, i don't rely completely on these forums, though they have helped me out a great deal.

Welcome to the Forums HappyVFT

Hey everyone,

A note on hamata. I grew this sucker successfully on my deck railing over the summer...Days up into the 90' (sometimes, but not too often, usually just high 80's), and night temps between 55 and 70 (depending on the night...most commonly in the low 60's). The humidity ranged from VERY HUMID durring the night, 40's or so durring mid day. My observation about this was that hamata is more forgiving that I expected.

Or maybe I just have a really sturdy one, who knows?

I also understood that an ultrahighlander had to have a minimum above 2000 m, but there are always exceptions. I was thinking aristolochiodes likes it colder than you would think for it's altitude, but I don't have my Clarke handy.
Also, is it N. reinwardtiana that grows from 0 all the way up to 2100? Best described as an intermediate, with that range, right? I don't think anyone would call it a ultrahighlander since it can be found above 2000 m. Hope I have the right one in mind there.
All in all, the advice on these forums is top notch, I would say.

Cheers,

Joe

Schloaty, you're right. The information about hamata needing higher humidity than other neps is basically a myth. The only time hamata is more sensitive is just out of tissue culture, when the leaves are extremely thin, more so than other species (maybe tentac gives it a run for its money). A hamata not long out of tissue culture would possible die if it was left in very low humidity for more than 2-3 days (which I've tried). Once acclimatised, hamata is the same as any other highland nep. I have a heap growing outside of varying sizes, even one barely 5cm across that has gone through days of 36C and 9% humidity without blinking. Then again, there are plenty of myths about nepenthes than have arisen over the decades and even centuries which I see occasionally peddled around (i.e. khasiana being the most cold tolerant etc).

Joe, I'm very sceptical about species altitudinal descriptions that are really broad. The reinwardtiana one wouldn't surprise me if it was actually N. murudensis being referred to at the upper levels. There are a couple of other species altitudinal ranges than are in print that are based on one alleged sighting that nobody else was ever able to confirm, even after searching. Again, information gathered over centuries that has never really been winnowed down.

Hamish

The classification of nepenthes, i.e. true lowland, lowland, intermediate, highland and ultra highland are only guidelines to follow. Most will favour either a lowland or highland setup and a majority of nepenthes are quite tolerant than what they have been given credit for.

Many people grow them differently. From an individuals' perspective, each would provide the appropriate conditions for their plants. Their countrys' weather being an important factor, i.e. wether they grow them on a windowsill because there is sufficient humidity or else a terrarium to provide the humidity.
One may be able to grow a hamata outside, but is it really healthy for the plant in the long run (i.e a hinderance to its' growth or eventually death), of which its natural habitat is already spoken for? Certainly when a plant is larger, it can slowly be introduced into a environment that it is not usually accustomed to. Surely there will be multiple deaths before one is found to survive and struggle with the conditions.

Question: As an example, if two nepenthes (i.e. a hamata male and a hamata female) were successfully introduced to an environment that had a humidity of 40%, temperature of 25 degrees celsius during the day and high humidity, 5 degree celsius temperature at night, resulting in a seed set. If these were sowed in the same environment, will they germinate or will they require a more suitable environment from where they originated?

Christian

Thought I would add my experience with hamata.
I agree with schloaty and SydneyNeps. I find hamata adaptable.
I grow my plant as a windowsill plant. It is located at my south facing sliding glass door. The plants during this time of year recieve direct sunlight most of the day.
During the day, now that winter has come, with the forced hot air, humidity somedays has dropped to 25%. At night humidity is usually around 45%. I do have a humidifier on the furnace, but has only been running at night right now.
When I first got the plant all but 2 pitchers dried up with in the first few weeks. Now it has adjusted to the new growing conditions and plant has been producing pitchers non stop without problems.
I'm very pleased.

Back