What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New plant

I found a really nice hybrid at Lowe’s this afternoon labeled as N. gentle.  It's in a 6" hanging pot.  Anyone grow these, and what conditions do you have it it?  I also have a N. miranda that has never picthered in like 6 months.  It has huge dark green goofy leaves so it's probably the humidity.  I’m in the process of building a Lowland growing chamber do you think it would do better in there?
                                        Thanks
                                             Nick Z.

smile_h_32.gif

Where are you located?

When a Nepenthes doesn't pitcher, most cases it is either insufficient light or humidity. Not sure what you mean by goofy leaves but huge and dark green sounds like insufficient light to me.

A lowland growing chamber will make humidity less of an issue but be sure to provide the correct type of lighting and sufficient quantity.

Tony

I've had Nepenthes refuse to pitcher because of wrong soil and temperatures. Underwatering and humidity is also an issue.

I'm in Gainesville, Fl ... Northern Florida

Gainesville, Florida? You mean..."The Swamp?"
I would think humidity would not be the issue there, unless it's in your sunroom with a dehumidifier running 24/7, lol.
I would go with giving it more light.
What is your compost, BTW?

Cheers,

Joe

Nick,  I agree with Tony that relative humidity and light is a big factor..This is my N. gentle.  
Val_s_gentle.sized.jpg

I live in Lauderdale where we don't get quite as cold as you in the winter but try putting it outside.  I keep mine hanging under an awning just inside the "shade line" where it gets only direct morning sun and it is growing quite well.
You may have to bring yours in on really cold nights and hang it in the bathroom but with the FL humidity and sun it should do quite well for you.

Back