What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best seedling transplant techniques?

Greetings!

I have several "kajillion" newly-germinated seedlings from a cross of Nepenthes spathulata x N. maxima that I made earlier this year. These chaps are crowded into several translucent plastic culture boxes, on NZ sphagnum. All the boxes are now open in bright shade, and I've been spared (knock wood!) any damping off to date.

So far, so good. It is generally at this, the 4-5 mm stage, that I generally lose all my Nep seedlings to fungal outbreaks that wipe them out from one day to the next, a la devouring flame. This time, I've decided to transplant them into seed plug trays while they're still tiny, with three or four plantlets per cell. My question to the group is, what instrument is best suited for lifting these out of the compot and transferring to individual mini-cells? I was thinking about using an ento needle, since they're long and very fine - forceps seem too clumsy - any suggestions?

Cheerio,

SJ

I would just lift out the area of dirt around it with my fingers gently and then place it in the new area you want to grow it.

But i've never done this before, so i can't guarantee this will work.

How close together are they? If they are spread out, you can probably use a small spoon to scoop up the seedlings and surrounding dirt.

Back