What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. neoguineensis

Again my Wistuba order arrived on my B-day (not today), 2nd year in a row that's happened, weird!

Anyway, just one of the rarer plants I've had on back order has finally arrived, it's an 8 cm N. neoguineensis. I'm just curious if anyone else is growing this one and if you've got any successful cutivation info (temp rages, special substrates, etc) and of course, any photos of your plant so I'll know what it'll look like in a year or two!

Take it easy!
smile.gif

I think that is the kind of thing you should find out before you get it...
Anyway, i think you use the standard medium, i use 1/2 sphagnum and 1/2 fern fiber for mine. I also think it is a lowland/intermediate. Note that i do not know this for sure. You should probably ask some other people.

Wow! Swords you make me jealous!  That is one spectacular plant!
I don't really know any special tips on growing this plant, but you have a super green thumb when it comes to Nep growing!
Keep us updated on this plant, I've never seen mant pics of it in cultivation.

I'm not concerned that I won't be able to grow it/pitcher it, I have documentation on the species I'm only curious if anyone has any tips or stories of growing the plant since it's a rather new one.

My growing method is based on Jebb & Cheeks data so I have it in my lowland chamber: 240 W light, 85+*F days 70-75*F nights, humidity 80%+. Soil mix is 50/50 LFS and fine orchid bark with a bit of oak leaf mould and charcoal.

Josh,
I too have a neoguineensis from Wistuba. I'll tell you this, my neo has been through every enviromental change imagineable. I've really been mean to this plant. It grows around 900-1400m in nature I believe. So I grew it outdoors intially as a highlander. It stressed and got a scale infestation! Then I moved it indoors on a windowsill and it pitchered up for me. Now I moved it back outdoors and it has produced a basal and has spunk again. Whatever I do to it, it refuses to die! So I think it will do fine for you in your terrarium setup. I recall that when I got my plant from Germany it was fairly "big" for a Nepenthes Nursery specimen and suffered a little transplant shock at first. But that was a long time ago. Good luck with your guy and should enjoy it a lot.

Joel

Thanks Joel - you don't happen to have any pics do you?

Hi,

i have this species now for a few years. It´s very easy to grow.....and has boring pitchers.
smile.gif

Just put it in your lowland setup and be prepared...it get´s big. In good lighting the leaves become wine red.
I have pictures one my site My Webpage

Best regards
Jan

Thanks Jan, I have it growing next to N. insignis & ampullaria giant Tayeve forms. What about the somewhat weird "triangular" shaped pitchers (Uppers?) it's supposed to make as it gets older ? Has your plant ever made them yet?

NM, I'll check CP Jungle, I thought Mike went outta bizniz years ago?
confused.gif

Hi Josh,

my plant didn't made upper pitchers yet. I think it needs some more time.
smile.gif

Jan

Mike did go out of business.
smile_h_32.gif
But his website is still up, and you can still check the growing pages.

BTW: He went out of business around march 2003. It's on his homepage, the exact date.

Josh,
I have a photo off my page Nepenthes around the house from my photo page. From the photos I've seen of this plant it is kind of boring. After this winter, my plant should have some decent pitchers to update.

Joel

Back