What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marcel leufle n. vielliardi error?

• Thread starter Treaqum
  • Start date
Hey,
In his book did Marcel Leufle mislabel his picture of N. vieillardi?  I have a plant that looks exactly like his N. vieillardi but all the pictures I can find on websites look a lot different.  The plants on the websites have no pink blotches inside the pitcher from the halfway point up.  Is my palnt really a N. vieillardi?
Tre

I don't have his book so can't say for sure. N. veillardii has been one of those questionable plants in the past. For a long time N. veillardii was considered from Doormans Top. While a similar plant from near sea level was also in cultivation. Today the ultrahighland plant is called N. lamii while the lowland plant is called N. veillardii. Perhaps the plant pictured is what is now considered N. lamii??

Here is what I have as the lowland N. veillardii
NveillardiiBECR.jpg

Tony

I think mine must be highland. My lowlands were growing very slowly, so I just put them in a terrarium. The highland plants are growing at a rate I would expect or faster. N. vieillardi is growing at a fairly fast rate and just grew a new ground pitcher rosset. Do you or anyone know of who I could send a cut off pitcher to to idenitfy?
Tre

It's possible but odds are it is not the highland plant now called N. lamii. They are true ultrahighland and very picky about being COLD COLD at night, and not that very common.

So your saying your plant looks the same but has pink blotches inside? Have you looked through all the photos of both species on BobZ's website? Is it possible your plant is not either and is a different species or perhaps mixed up hybrid?

It's very hard to judge from a photo or two of a single pitcher as well.

Tony

Well, I meant my plant has the same pitchers but differnt coloration. Yes I have looked through dozens of pictures on teh internet and not one matches. It came to me under the name N. vieillaridi and that is what I found in Marcel's book. It has the yellow pitchers that half-way up on the inside turn slightly lighter and have small pich blotches, like a little kid tried to color circles on the inside. The majority of pitchers connect from the right side (as you face them) but a few from the left. The pitchers are also fairly varible a couple have had indented hoods and longer-thiner bodies. One odd thing isthat it only has three pitchers at a time on the main climbing stem (well it is only a few years old, about a year after they are usually sold) One pitcher dies at the same rate as another grows.
Tre

Tre,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here..... but I also have a 'supposed' N. vieillardii that I am not sure of.

I should firstly add that the ID on many plants from the same source are questionable so I don't have faith that this plant is what it is claimed to be.

Mine is supposed to be N. vieillardii "Mt Kagnis Giant".

Now, I can find no reference to Mt Kagnis or any form of Nep originating from it.

To add to the difficulty my plant is very young:
NVieilardiiMtKagnisGiant.jpg

It is doing quite well in intermediate conditions.

Any thoughts?

I do not know, sort of looks like N. truncata leaves. You should post the picture on the Cp question forum to see if anyone there knows.
Tre

Hey Aaron:

That's a nice viellardii. Where did you get this one?

Gus

Gus,
It's looking good at this stage for a Triffid plant. Fingers crossed it is what its supposed to be.

As I mentioned earlier, it is responding well to my intermediate conditions given I've only had it just over 8 weeks. I have it in a tricho treated mix of 1:1:1 Peat:LFS:Orchid Bark

One feature that I've seen in almost all pictures of this species is that subtle ribbing running length-wise along the leaf. You can see it in the larger leaf on the left in my picture and in the "lower rosette" picture in Tre's last link above.

Tre,
Have any pictures of your plant you can share with us?

Aaron.

yeah Aaron: also look at the serrated leaf edge (typical of viellardii, rowanae and a couple of other species)

Gus

I will try to get a picture today. How do I up load it o the forum?

Back