What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Villosa chamber

Coleman and Igloo make much bigger units. That one is very small.

i know but i only intend on growing little things i there like seedlings, would it be okay

Would it work? Sure but you will have to do some fiddling around to learn how to control the temperature. You don't want to freeze your plants.

The more serious question is what happens when they are no longer seedlings? That little one is about the size of a few soda cans inside.

T

yeah it says that it keeps it around 40-45 degrees constant, when they get bigger ill have a greenhouse for them this is only a temperary solution, so what all would i need to buy?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ Nov. 28 2004,1:35)]yeah it says that it keeps it around 40-45 degrees constant, when they get bigger ill have a greenhouse for them this is only a temperary solution, so what all would i need to buy?
Hmm well...

I wouldn't trust what you read on that.. You really want to toss in a few expensive plants to find out it freezes over because it really doesn't have that precise temperature control?

As far as what else would you need.. Piece of plexiglass to replace the lid. Some way of lighting it. Timer at least to turn it on at night for a set period of time. optional but highly recommended - thermostat to actually control the temperature inside it.

I also think your thought that when they get bigger you will have a greenhouse for them is flawed. Are you planning on refrigerating your greenhouse? Don't forget Jeremiah used the freezer idea even though he has a greenhouse because he found the greenhouse was not sufficient. IF however you get a decent 40quart sized thermoelectric cooler to start. You will have plenty of room for a small N. villosa for years to come.

Tony

I'd like to interject one additional consideration: If you're
15 or 16 years old, you might want to defer growing anything
demanding and slow (e.g. N. villosa) until you are quite a bit
older. I suggest this because it is very likely that your life
will change dramatically several times before you are even
out of college, and it is therefore unlikely that you will be
able to adequately care for such plants during periods of
upheaval. It is far more likely that they will end up as
victims of oversight long before they become the mature
plants of which you dream. If this criterion applies to you,
I suggest that you try growing some of the other beautiful,
yet vastly more forgiving (and less expensive) species.

hmm what im hoping to do is put up some of the same glass that jeremiah used for his highland greenhouse on part of mine, ill ask what he thinks about the plnats i want to put in it

yes i know im just really into them, and i no that I'll do anything humanly possible to care for them

Hey Robin, Did you leave the clear plastic on the front of the Flourex lights or did you remove it so that the lights can sit flat on the window?

I had this idea many years ago when working at super markets and always seeing freezer display bunkers, but I had the idea for maybe growing Darlingtonia(to keep the roots cool).
 I have thought about doing this, but I don't see how in my married life I can pull this off. I  could get a discount freezer(I see ads all the time for re-built ones), but I think Robin did it right in getting all brand new equipment, as what good is it to grow them for two years with great success and then-Kablooey.

Cheers,

Joe

Thanks again guys.

Jeff, thanks I'll let ya know.

Kirk, Good luck with your experiments. I suggest saving your $ for the biggest freezer you can afford ($150 used) and go from there.

wolf9striker, I leave the covers on the lights.

smile.gif

Nice set-up, Robin.
I've been watching this thread intently because I've flirted with the idea of some sort of highland grow space. I know how big these plants can get, and personally, I my desire would be to grow them to flowering size. This would require a fairly large space, say eight foot by eight foot by six feet tall. Not trying to grow villosa here, just get some nice sized plants like lowii, highland truncata, bongso, burbidgeae...you get the picture. I'm kinda in the same mind set as Griffin: look for a meat cooler as a source of cold air. Most are 240V electricity eaters, so I'm not so worried about cost of set-up, but cost of running the whole shabang.
Kirk, I know you're in Florida. If you plan on refrigerating a greenhouse, also plan on mammoth electric bills during the summer, because your giant cooling system will be running night and day!
Still pondering...
Trent

Hi Trent,
hmmmmmm.You could get some 2 x 4's and build an 8 x8 structure, insulated w/ 4x8 foam sheets. Get a 1K watt metal halide, and an AC, and your in business! It would be a lot cheaper than one of those industrial "walk in" coolers to run.
smile.gif

ACs decrease humidity, just get a small freezer and open the door.
biggrin.gif

I take off the plastic cover on my flourex fixtures. The make nice trays for pots of drosera or utrics! Plus, the light is brighter!

Capslock

Back