What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very nice surprise.

i went out to my warm house to turn down the heater for the night, and i decided to go in to my stovehouse to check up on things. I had a very nice surprise, an ant colony had found my Nepenthes! I sat down for about 5 minutes and watched the ants get massacred by my Neps.
smile.gif
Guess i won't have to worry about feeding them anymore.
smile_m_32.gif

Sorry, camera is broken.

Oh boy, there are wayyyyyy too many ants. I'm afraid that the pitchers will fill up with ants, and the new ants will be able to escape! Holy <word missing>, my bicalcarata has ants swarming all over it. My reinwardtiana has only been here since about 3:30 this afternoon, and there are sill tons of ants in the pitchers! I hope that truncata of mine opens up that pitcher soon, it should only be a day or two now. And my ampullaria needs more pitchers too. I hope this colony finds my warmhouse as well, i have three times as many nepenthes in there. This is sooo cool, i wish my camera was working!!!

I have a plant outside that filled up with so much ants that it started to grow mold in it because not all the ants were covered by the fluids.

I hope that doesn't become a problem, well, with my taller pitchers, i can fill it up with just a little water so the level is above the prey and mold doesn't form. Did it hurt that plant?

No, not yet... Tho the lid did turn a little brown but i think it was because i just brought it indoors so it probably not used to the climate inside.

Okay, that seems good. Say, how large are the N. Copelandii upper pitchers? I know the size of the lowers and the plant size (thanks Tony) but i still don't know the size of the uppers.

Yippee! The ants made their way in to my warmhouse. Now they'll have to face the wrath of my N. ventrata, alata, ventricosa, hamata, burbidgeae, fusca, macfarlanei, ephippiata, sanguinea, maxima, copelandii, macrophylla, and lowii! Not to mention a few other plants of different genuses.

BTW, what does it mean if a Nepenthes is "genting"? i hear that phrase a lot, and i don't know what it means

Thanks
Dave

'Genting' is a location.The Genting Highlands are in peninsular Malaysia, north-east of Kuala Lumpur, around Gunung Ulu Kali. They're home to Neps macfarlanei, ramispina and sanguinea.
I understand the area is under threat from holiday resort developments
smile_h_32.gif

Regards,
T.

something like that happened to me exept there wasnt a colony just a trail.

Oh, okay, now i know. Thanks. I thought it was some kinda variation of the plant or something.

Back