What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very annoyed!

ok...I've had a lil n. bicalcarata for hmm... a little over a year. When I got it it was about five inches from leaf tip to leaf tip. Now it's seven. Now call my cynical but that's a little disappointing, considering all the plantlore of bicals growin a few feet in a year. I mean the bloody thing has its happy 80% humidity, and lots of light, and VERY warm. Plus the soil is all peaty and crap. Another annoying thing is taht one day the pitchers thought it would be funny to die, so now I only have two. Any tips?

how consistant are you growing parameters....

You say thats its at a happy 80% humidity but for how long through out he day. If its one thing I've noticed with my bical (and its growing quite fast I might add) is it can not stand any general fluctuations in its chamber. One time the humidity decided to drop for a few hours (left the door slightly open) and it dropped two of its pitchers....

If it's only gained 2" in a year.. then it is not happy.

How warm is warm? What are your day and night temperatures? What do you mean by lots of lights?? What kind and how much? How close to the plant? Is it growing new leaves on a regular basis? Do they look a nice medium green? Can you post a picture of the overall plant?

Tony

Sometimes (from my info sources at least), when they say it is fast growing, they don't mean fast maturing. They just mean it puts out leafs and pitchers pretty fast. Sometimes you have to be carefull when you get info online (or from someone you don't know has a lot of info).

Yes, Bical does not seem happy with humidity fluctuations. Mine, only gets humidity up to 70-75%, but it does't go up and down and up and down, so it's happy and it's produced two pitchers for me, and i've just had this for about a month or two. The leaves are getting larger very fast too.

My growing parameters are (mine does well in this mind you):
Heat: 85-95 during the day 75-85 at night (depending on season, winter lower end of spectrum summer higher end)
Humidity: approx 70% during the day, 75-80% at night.
Daylight: Outside in a greenhouse.
Soil:1/2 LFS 1/2 fern fiber.

Perhaps it has root rot from the heavy peat mix. Mine is in pure Sphagnum moss from Chile, I've fertilized it and even let humidity plummet but nothing bothers it, well considering it was in Mikes greenhouse in 30% humidity and slightly moist, perhaps I have a battle hardened one! lol

Mine 2 plants do great in my lowland chamber in the greenhouse with:
90plus F in the day
above 60% RH
very moist soil
high light
temps ranging from 60F to 65F at night
Plenty of mist cascading over them from the ultrasonic fogger.

uhmm ok
well I live in Southern California so its bloody hot here even in the winter. I'd say about 80-85 day time, and hmm... 70 at night. (i used to have a thermometer there)... I used to have a heat pad however it was warm enough without one. But after looking at Dustin's temp and plant maybe I put it back eh...
the color of the plant is fine. I'll post a pic soon.. im waitin till this new pitcher forms tho. I think it's starting to get a little bigger, for about nine months it did not grow whatsoever. Thanks for replyin everyone...
Matt

ok so i just looked at teh plant after reading replies, and I'm even more pissed off cuz right now both pitchers are starting to die. (there used to be like 7), then five died, then these two are

I would say it is time to repot into sphagnum. Most people(not all) have best success with this species in a sphagnum mix-odd for a plant that comes from peat swamps, but the Drosera growers on this forum know there are lots of plants from peaty areas that seem to do best in sphagnum.
I guess the Q is how much peat is in your soil? I had one in the past that seemed to do great in 50/50 peat:perlite.

Cheers,

Joe

Listen to what Gracilis (Dustin) described. It's almost identical to how we grow our bicals. We grow bicalcarata in straight Wisconsin sphagnum moss in large pots. They have huge root systems, and the plant will grow stunted if you don't give it the root space. We have repotted our bicals from a six inch pot up to ten gallons and have the next growth double in size.
Dustin's temps and humidity are perfect. Our plants are even subjected to lows down to 55 F overnight and don't mind, as long as the day comes back up into the eighties. They grow very fast during the long days of summer, but do slow down in winter.

Trent

Trent

I am curious also what water your using and if you feed your plants at all. Perhaps it is simply in need of some nutrients?

While N. bicalcarata does indeed have a very large root system. I disagree with most that say plants get stunted in small pots. Very few Nepenthes I have seen experiences this. The key is to make sure it has plenty of water and nutrients. The problem is that small pots can cause water stress because they dry out too quickly. This in turn is what stunts the plant in my opinion. Will take a picture of a plant or two later today.
Tony

Tony, how about the nine foot of vine of tobaica out of a 4" pot?

Cheers,

Joe

Sorry Joe, I chopped it up the other day. It was vining and intertwining throughout the bench. Was getting hard to remove other plants. Maybe.. MAYBE I can untwist the N. alata or bongso that are 5 or 6' by now that are also in 4" pots. They are not quite as badly wound up with the rest of the plants on the bench.

Here is the N. bicalcarata in the 4" pot. Dumb me forgot to measure the diameter as I was in a rush this morning. I would estimate around 36"
Will have to forgive the quality. No fancy setup for the shot lol.
plant.jpg

That's a nice plant Tony, it seems to me that the pitchers are relatively small considering it's size, at least when i compare it to my N. ventrata, or my N. maxima, or my N. hamata (brand new). At least the pitcher on the far left.

That's possible NepMaster. It is in my lowland chamber which gets a bit less light than the rest of the greenhouse. It is also turned slightly so the pitcher on the left is further away. Some Nepenthes just don't have as high a pitcher/leaf ratio either. I would consider N. bicalcarata one of them.

Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Nov. 29 2004,9:21)]... It is in my lowland chamber which gets a bit less light than the rest of the greenhouse...
Hi Tony,

what is the N. rajah doing in there? - Did you try to compare the rate of growth with the ones in your higland setup?

Interested Joachim

Hi Joachim,

OOps sorry I didn't explain well. I removed it to take a picture. It's normally jammed inside one corner of the grow chamber and would be hard to get a picture. Hopefully the N. bicalcarata won't be too upset with the five minutes of chilling.

Tony

Tonys plant is also still farily young, even with my enormous bical, the pitcher to leaf ratio isn't that great, even though the pitchers are about the size of grapefruits on it! The next pitcher looks like it may be a bit bigger.

EDIT:

Some pics:

Pb302362.sized.jpg

Pb302364.sized.jpg

Pb302365.sized.jpg

Reading from the remote climate monitor.

Yeah, i guess your right, even though the pitchers may be big, the pitcher/leaf ratio is kinda different from other Nepenthes i've seen. That bical looks like it's about 4-5 feet around, with 2 foot leaves, am i right? Can't wait till mine get's that large, can i have it?
smile_m_32.gif
(just kidding)

Ah, thanks Tony for the clarification.

Dustin, your plant loos very nice and even the leaf to pitcher ratio is good from what I've seen from adult plants.

Cheers Joachim

ey nice pics nice plant..
I'll post a pic this week dun worry...
I don't feed it, the pitchers are too small to feed unless I use tweezers... and I cant find them.. go figure

Back