What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can i grow nepenthes in these conditions?

I want to grow nepenthes in my greenhouse.

In the spring, the greenhouse is 65 to 85 degrees. 65% humidity at day. 85% at night.

In the summer the greenhouse is 70 to 90 degrees. 55% humidity at day. 80% at night.

In the fall I will have a heater on, so it will be 65 to 85 degrees. 65% humidity.

In the winter I will have the heater on, so It will be 55 to 80 degrees. and 55% -65% humidity.

I want to grow
Nepenthes x 'Judith Finn'
Nepenthes x 'Ventrata'
Nepenthes ampullaria
Nepenthes gracilis
and other lowland neps.
Can I grow lowland and highlands? If the highlands are on the cooler, humid, shadier, floor of the greenhouse?

Can i grow sarrs, VFT, utrics, dews, and pings.
What about Heliamphora?
Cephs?

Thanks,
alex
smile.gif

Also, would darlingtonia fry in these conditions?

Ok I am confused.. Didn't you just lose a whole greenhouse full of CPs??

Looking over the figures you posted. Your Summer highs/lows are a bit much for some of the picky highland Nepenthes. Your Winter lows are kinda cold for the tempermental lowland plants (including N. ampullaria and gracilis on your list). Intermediate and some highland and some lowland would do ok but you will need to research which deal better with wide temperature ranges. I would recommend a cooling/humidifying system for the Summer if you don't have one yet (evaporative cooler and/or fogging system).

Summer temps are going to be an issue for Heliamphora as well as the low humidity. Darlingtonia?? hmm guessing 70 at night in the Summer is kinda high for it also.

Tony

I did lose them all, but I just bought A LOT of plants from other people. The neps were in terrariums that were inside the greenhouse when I lost them, and I didn't know if the humidity was good enough for the sarrs, but they were still in there. The dews where in terrariums too.
I almost have my entire growlist replenished! Yay!

So what I am asking is if I could grow them all in the greenhouse without terrariums.
smile.gif

I do have an evaporative cooler, and it keeps the humidity 40-45% in the day, opposed to 20-25% without the cooler. I am going to add gravel in a couple of weeks, and that would keep the humidity 50%+.

Ah ok that explains better. Gravel will help a little but only if you wet it down frequently. You should have a look at a small misting system or something along that line. Personally I dont think the humidity would be an issue for the Drosera, Pings, Sarr., Utric, vft, or Ceph. For the Heliamphora and Nepenthes yes.
Tony

Ok, Thanks! One more question. What do you consider to be the minimum humidity for lowlan/intermediate neps.
Thanks!!
smile.gif

Humdity should generally be above 40% at least. The real killer for all Nepenthes is hot and low humdity.

Darlingtonia wouldn't fry. I would only grow highlanders in those conditions, you could probably grow some non-picky lowlanders though (truncata, rafflesiana, alata (lowland), albomarginata).

About humidity, my greenhouse gets to around 40-50% during the day (even in winter, yes, i need a better swamp cooler), but as long as the humidity skyrockets at night (to 70%+) all of my Nepenthes do very well. I have just got a few picky highlanders (Macrophylla, thanks Tony, and Lowii) i haven't experienced any negative effects yet, and they seem to be adjusting well in my conditions. So i'm assuming that most Nepenthes (highlander at least) would do well in yours.

If I get the temps higher at night and in the winter, can I grow lowlands?

Yes but then you will have problems with your highland types. Or perhaps I should rephrase that to 'more problems'

Back