What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital macrophylla

Hey Guys,
Just finished the latest in what appears to be a series of digital paintings. Thought you might like to see it. All done in PS6.

mac-forweb.jpg

Thanks To Jeff (neps) for letting me use his picture as a model.

Robin  
smile.gif

It looks great but completely the same as the original...
So what exactly did you do? Removed the background and added a sharpen filter?
smile.gif

I can hardly tell the difference, the only thing that gave it away was the fading pitcher tendril.

Thanks  Phyrex, and PB.
It's supposed to look exactly like the original, so I'll take that as a compliment
smile.gif
 .Realism is my favored style, and this is good practice. I do it the same as you would with pen and paper. Look at the reference, then paint what you see, only I use a digital stylus.
I had to do each tooth individually, so it was quite challenging to get them to all look the same. Almost a hundred layers, and half a Gig! I've been working on it for about 2 weeks or so.
Whats the point? Well they say imitation is the highest form of flattery. Plus, now I have a very nice macrophylla !

Robin
smile_n_32.gif

Lol. I wish I could downloadm that to my GC on Animal Crossing....Btw I`ve designed lots clothes on that that are cps:)

Well done, Robin! What a great likeness!

What a picture! wow! Certainly a solace for the Nepenthophiles' eyes!

Great rlhirst, now just make it bigger, and make it real and you'll be all set.
smile_n_32.gif

Looks very nice Robin!
Do you have a copy of the photo you used as reference? Any in progress images of your work?

I do a cheating form of this in PS by simply masking the Nep and turing the mask into an object and just drag n drop onto a colored background. Here's a sample of my lazy method:
welcome.jpg

So much Nepenthes art over this last year, truly wonderful. When one of us wins the lottery, maybe we can finally see what we all really want-a actual toilet in the shape of a Nepenthes pitcher!
smile_m_32.gif

Cheers,

Joe

Nah, I could never do that into a Nep pitcher!
smile_n_32.gif

I'm sorry - that's off color!

Your rajah avatar looks like a good candidate-better than macrophylla (ouch).
smile_n_32.gif

Definitely not hamata.
biggrin.gif

Maybe a lowii, the lid reminds me of the toilet bowl lid, the top part of the pitcher reminds me of the bowl, the waist reminds me of the pipe, and the bottom part of the pitcher reminds me of the septic tank.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (NepenthesMaster @ Nov. 30 2004,11:36)]Maybe a lowii, the lid reminds me of the toilet bowl lid, the top part of the pitcher reminds me of the bowl, the waist reminds me of the pipe, and the bottom part of the pitcher reminds me of the septic tank.  
smile_m_32.gif
Yeah but where would you sit?
I'd rather sit on the peristome of a Northiana or something.
smile_m_32.gif

Maybe the lowii would make a urinal??

smile_t_32.gif

Sorry, I'll quit on this subject, lol.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'd rather sit on the peristome of a Northiana or something.
smile_m_32.gif
Yeah, but it's at such a slant, you'd fall off and make a huge mess on the floor.  
smile_n_32.gif

I do agree that a lowii would be kinda strange to sit on. I think that it would indeed make a good urinal.

BTW griffin, that smilie is just priceless.

EDIT:
Original post and thread direction chart:
^
original post l
l thread direction
l- - - ->
l
l
l
, V Somewhere

Back