What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Macrophylla is droopy

So the original idea of the greenhouse, is to grow plants in Winter months, thus their design worries about temp control-not so much about humidity. Is that it, pretty much?

Cheers,

Joe

Greenhouses serve much more purpose than to grow plants in Winter months. If you wanted to sum it up I would say, it is a way to grow a nonfield crop in controlled conditions. The level or degree to which you need to modify the conditions inside the greenhouse will depend largely on the crop and the outside conditions.

Tony

I'm in south Florida where many Neps can be grown as patio plants, but a greenhouse provides a more ideal condition year round. Summers are cooler inside the greenhouse, and for winters all it has to do is provide a minimum warmth. This weekend I may be using heat for the first time this season,as we are hearing threats of temps dropping into the forties Saturday night. No problem for maxima hybrids, but ampullarias and bicalcarata must be protected. We keep 55 F as our low on the thermostat.

Trent

El Gecko,

Thanks for the kinds words. That's great that you've got some Neps on the sills pitchering for you. Glad you enjoyed the site. I usually try to update it about once a month. Maybe by this Xmas vacation I'll be able to finally update all of the species profiles with more accurate information on what Neps tolerate outdoor and windowsill accommodations the best and worst!

Thanks,
Joel

Whew, i just got back from a five day visit to dad's house.
I hoped that everything would be okay, but my mom forgot to open the door in the daytime for those five days. The conditions are alright with the door open in the day mind you. But i think the macrophylla might need an E.R. right now!
mad.gif

I think it will survive, i think the lowii will too. I just got a rajah, but i only put it in today so it won't suffer.
Anyway, i am back now, so i guess my withered macrophylla will survive.
smile.gif
It even grew a little!
I drilled it in to mother that it is essential that she open the door during the door while i'm gone, so i think the crisis is over.

Back