What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. x 'rokko' details/history

Not had much luck with Google.

Does anyone know the background info on N. x 'Rokko'?

Natural or man-made?

Older hybrid or new?

Etc.

Thanks,

Aaron.

Hi Aaron:

Nepenthes rokko is thorelli X maxima. it is an old hybrid.

gus

Thanks Gus.

So it's old... What about man-made versus natural? I'm guessing man-made given the name!?

AJ

I was doing some research and it said that Nx. Rokko is one of the old victorian hybrids that are supposed to be worth getting. I thought it was a natural hybrid.

C

Hi Aaron and Mad about cps:

Maxima is very well spread out throughout southeast asia. I am not sure whether this species is found where thorellii is also found. I could be wrong but thorelli is native to Laos, thailand, cambodia and nearby countries. while maxima is predominantly indonesian species. I don't think both species naturally coexist in nature. I am not sure though

Gus

OK,

Found this on CP Jungle.com:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Another widespread hybrid, this one was created in Japan. It was a cross between N. thorelii and N. maxima. The Japanese utilized N. thorelii heavily in their hybrids. N. thorelii adds brilliant crimson coloration to hybrids, as well as can cause the pitchers to "tub out" into wider proportions. The complex hybrid N. xRokko x N. thorelii produces pitchers that are much "tubbier" than that of N. rokko.

So it seems man-made and, Christian, not sure about that "Victorian" status. Oh the joy of uncertainty.

AJ.

N. Rokko is a Japanese hybrid, made in the 1960s or early 70's. It is thorelii x maxima. It is a hybrid name, not a cultivar. How many clones exist is unknown, but there are male and female plants of N. Rokko.
Hope this is helpful.
Trent

no one has added the dang thing grows like a weed too, it out paces my ventrata by a wide margin
smile_n_32.gif
i read somewhere that it may grow up to 7 feet a year and i believe it. beautiful pitchers. even the uppers ive seen on mine are quite colorful.

Aaron:

Have a look at Nepenthes University in the hybrid section. And read the other fine print at the top. or Ctrl F and search for the word 'victorian'.
I have a book with information on N.x Rokko. One might be worth purchasing. Or unless you want a photo copy of the page.

C

It's OK Christian. I'll read it when I drop in this week
smile_m_32.gif

Thanks for the info Trent & Rattler. Pretty much what I was looking for.

My plant is a scraggly cutting with no pitchers and about 3-4 leaves, so I'll based on the reports of how fast of a grower it is I should have something a bit nicer in a few months.

Aaron.

I'm definate you will turn 'scraggly' into 'beaut'. You neps look beaut!

Here is what the ICPS Database has to say:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]N: $[Nepenthes ' Rokko ' {Hort. ex Kusakabe}]
P: Carniv.Pl.Newslett.8:14 (1979)
S: =[[Nepenthes thorelii {Lecomte}] * [Nepenthes maxima {Reinw. ex Nees}]]
C: synonym of [Nepenthes masamiae {Hort. ex Kusakabe}]
HC: name not established (no description, violating Art.24.1., ICNCP)
B: G.Yamakawa & I.Kusakabe, Tokyo, 1977
Nominant: I.Kusakabe
Standard: Savage Garden:272 (1998), (only pitcher on extreme left)

Hi Gang,

Long time no posting!

Life's kept my pretty busy so my forum-time has lessened. Never fear though, I do still look in every few weeks.

Anyway, thought I'd update this thread with a pic of the first pitcher (an upper) to form on my new cutting. Not quite as colourful as I'd expected but I like it none the less.

NRokkoUpperPitcher.jpg

How does it compare to other's N. xRokko?

Aaron.

Aaron,
Mine is a little bit redder. This is an upper pitcher on mine (with another about to open in back), which I just hacked back today to send cuttings out. I'm currently getting a big lower, which would be my first lower pitcher, so I don't know how those look yet.
N_x_Rokko5.sized.jpg

Interesting Caps. Sure looks nice with the heavier red. Pitcher shape is identical!

How long has that pitcher been open. Mine may colour up as it ages give it only opened a few days ago.

May also be that mine is still settling in to its new home (bare rooted cutting received and planted mid December 04).

Do you know if yours is male or female?

Aaron.

Aaron,

The pitcher in the picture (lol) opened some time before the photo. They do color up over time, but I think mine are redder than yours at any stage. I like the way your red lid contrasts with the rest of it, though.

I believe my plant is a female, as I bought it on Ebay, and the guy I bought it from is selling another cutting right now on Ebay from his plant and is advertising it as female. I just hacked the main vine back on mine, though, so it will be a while before I see a flower.

I would expect there to be variation in Rokkos, as they are a hybrid, not a cultivar, as someone mentioned earlier.

Capslock

Back