What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Im not a failure!

well i thought it was impossible for me to germinate Nep seeds. ive been trying and trying and finally just gave up although i didnt turn down the last to batches offered. i recieved ALOT of the ventricosa seeds that were offered not long ago as a throw in on a seperate trade. so for the heck of it i threw half in some LFS and half in coco-peat for the heck of it. checked them like clock work every week to make sure they were properly watered and NOTHING. infact its been long enough ago that i dont even remember when i planted them as i didnt even bother to put the date on the tag. well i havent looked at them for a couple weeks untill last night and on the surface of the LFS pot is a carpet of ventricosa seedlings!!!!!! im guessing prolly close to 50 plus seedlings in the pot. there are a few on in the coco-peat pot but only 3 or 4. at first i was trying to figure out what kind of new weed seeds are in my nice blonde LFS but sure enough a decent portion of the seedlings had the seed case still on the end of one of the leaves.

Rattler

You see! After all those unfortunate events that you'd gone through, you get rewarded with a successful germination of a bunch of Neps!

Yeah, and if things happen in threes, like you said....go buy a lotto ticket, and pronto!
smile_m_32.gif

Congrats on the seedlings. Are they the batch of seeds from Steve?

I have several seedlings myself, even after giving away at least 30, I still have over 50 left. What a haul from those seeds!

Interesting. So the LFS did much better than Coco peat.
Did you really divide the seeds evenly amongst the two pots?
Or treated them different perhaps?
Sounds like a good experiment.
smile.gif

Phyrex---whether or not exactly even i dont know but there is still ALOT of seeds on the surface of the coco-peat. as to conditions both are in 3 inch pots in the same 1 gal ziplock bag so im pretty sure conditions are identical.
smile_m_32.gif
ill give them more time. other than fewer germinating so far the ones in the coco-peat are the same size and everything as the ones in LFS. it should be a good on-going experiment. but its safe to say if i get seeds from my vietchii crosses im using LFS
smile_n_32.gif

schoalty---yeah they are the batch from Steve. he threw in some in a trade with an orchid of his i was dieing to get my hands on.

Congratulations! You're a daddy! Now if only I can get these ridiculous mirabilis seeds to do something.....
biggrin.gif

Congrats Sheridan. That is really exciting. If you planted them right away that would have been sometime around the end of August. That is really slow germination. That ventricosa plant was really prolific. I estimated around 2500 seeds. They really got spread around the world. It will be interesting to see how many survive. Now if only I could achieve the same success with my rajah and lowii.

i think you sent these later in your giveaway but the end of August, begining of October is prolly about right. i should send an email to Johan and see how his have done.

Rattler

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Now if only I could achieve the same success with my rajah and lowii.

We're here for you Steve!
smile_n_32.gif

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Now if only I could achieve the same success with my rajah and lowii.

I agree with Capslock! I humbly offer my space for germination of extra seeds...
smile_m_32.gif

Back