What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. coccinea

I set up a new lighting arrangment above my N. coccinea and the leaves are turning really red in a blotchy pattern. Is this because it is happy or is it to much light for it?

I would need to see a picture to tell you for sure, but usually when a Nepenthes' leaves turn a different color, it is either mold (or something like that) or just a response to the intensified light.
I remember when i had a N. sanguinea growing on my windowsill, the leaves were green. When i moved it in to my greenhouse, the leaves turned reddish-orange. It's still growing well so i know it's not the mold.

N. Coccinea likes to turn all sorts of colors under good lighting.  On newly started plants (from cuttings) I've had leaves which were anywhere from yellow to pink and even dark burgundy "bloodstains" as I like to call them. Pitchers made on the "discolored" leaves were far nicer than those on the plant initially brought home from the green house, nearly twice as large and much more intense pitcher colors.

I intentionally try to get my neps to color up in bright lighting, as it makes the plants sturdier, healthier and with better quality pitchers. Good luck with N. Coccinea it's a really easy growing "weedy" one you'll be making cuttings before you know it!
smile.gif

Well i was kinda right.
smile.gif

I don't have a coccinea so i didn't know for sure.

I posted something similar sometime ago, wondering why my coccinea was three different colors.
It seems some leaves can turn red under good lighting, if it's orange, it's sunburn.

Back