What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mosquitoes as prey

I was watering my plants the other day, and noticed something very interesting in 2 of the pitchers of my N. eymae - dead mosquitoes. Now I had always seen Nepenthes as a breeding ground for mosquitoes, rather than a killer of them. Is it something peculiar to eymae, or has anyone come across this in other species?

I think it would be particular to eymae and inermis since i've heard that their pitcher fluid is viscous and the inside of the pitcher is slightly sticky. I've only heard this as a rumor, so don't quote me on that.

I have indeed found dead mosquitos in my neps, but never any larvae. I hate mosquitos. I love finding them floating in those little wells of death. Did I mention I hate mosquitos?

Capslock

I find gnats are particularly attracted to the yellow color of N. inermis uppers, many are found smudged in the mucousy pitcher wall excretions and are found days later drowned in the honey like fluid of the pitcher itself. So yes, they do get stuck and slide into the acids but it take a while.

I was right about that.
smile.gif

Maybe about inermis, but eymae doesn't have much in the way of pitcher fluid. Mine are full of rain water, and it was the day after they were filled up with rain water than I found the dead mozzies.

With regards to mosquitos breeding in pitcher fluid, I would think the only ones that could would be mosqitos from S.E. Asia, which have evolved alongside the neps. N. American mosquitos wouldn't have the adaptation to allow them to survive in the enzymes.

Just a guess, but at least it sounds good!
smile_m_32.gif

Back